Lima, also known as "The City of the Kings" or "Lima, la gris", is the capital of Peru. Founded in 1535 by the Spanish Francisco Pizarro, currently has more than 8.5 million inhabitants, thus being the most populous city in Peru. This territory was occupied by the ancient Maranga culture and Lima culture, before both were conquered by the Wari culture. It is for this reason that until now you can find huacas in different parts of the city of Lima. During the viceroyalty, the city became very important until it became the center of political and economic power. Its excellent location, since it was close to a sea, made it part of a large commercial network that included not only America, but also Europe and East Asia. When the independence of Peru occured in 1821, Lima adopted its new role as capital of the Republic of Peru. In fact, the most important building of democracy, the Government Palace, is located in this city. Finally, in 1930s, the migratory waves from the interior of the country to Lima begin, thus initiating urban expansion.
Distance between Arequipa to Lima
● Getting to Lima from Arequipa takes approximately 15 hours and 40 minutes. However, this time may change depending on the transport company.
Climate in Lima
● The weather in Lima is fresh, excellent if you want to spend a few days of total relax and without too much sun or too much cold. It is said that in this city only summer and winter can be distinguished, since during other seasons the weather remains almost the same. During the summer, which is from January to mid-March, the temperature can reach up to 27°C and the sun can be at its maximum. On the other hand, in winter, it drops to 14°C. It is important to take care of yourself leaving Arequipa because here it is hot, so the climate change can affect.
Hotels in Lima
● Ibis Larco Miraflores
- Address: Av. Larco # 1140, Miraflores.
- Price: From S/208.
- Services: The Ibis Larco Miraflores hotel is located in a very beautiful area such as the Miraflores district. In addition to having TV with cable, they have a restaurant and a bar that is open all day, so you won't have to worry about anything.
● Hotel "Affitta Camere"
- Address: Mz R Lot 30 Seventh Sector Urbanization Pro, San Martin de Porres.
- Price: From S/60.
- Services: If you are looking for a pet friendly hotel at a low price, this option is for you. It is located very close to the Government Palace, so it is great if you want to do tourism in the historic center. In addition, it has a large terrace.
● Hotel "Casa Iñaka Pachacutec II"
- Address: Mz N Lot 17 N Lot 17 Las Fresas, Callao.
- Price: From S/66.
- Services: This amazing hotel is an excellent option if you want to save budget. Located in Callao, it is ideal if you are looking for an adventure near the sea.
● Hotel "La Casa de Alvaro"
Address: Salaverry Street # 190, Miraflores.
Price: From S/126.
Services: A great place to stay because it is close to Larcomar, a beautiful boardwalk located in the district of Miraflores. Each room has free WIFI, but the bathroom is shared.
● Hotel "Gold Legacy"
Address: Avenida Carlos Izaguirre # 588, Lima.
Price: From S/150.
Services: This is a good hotel if you are looking for a reservation at a good price and with excellent services. It is very close to Jorge Chavez International Airport and the service staff is bilingual, ideal for everyone.
Restaurants & Bars in Lima
● Paprika Restaurant Lima
- Address: Av. General Salaverry # 3060, Lima.
- Price: From S/45.
- Services: A great place to eat with your partner or have a good time with friends. Buffet is served but you can also have personalized dishes, and there is also the option to order vegetarian food.
● La Mar Restaurant
- Address: Av. Mariscal La Mar # 770, Lima.
- Price: From S/50.
- Services: This restaurant is the perfect place if you want to try Peruvian marine food because its seafood is excellent. If you are going to order ceviche, remember that this dish can be for two people.
● English Country Club Bar.
Address: Calle Los Eucaliptos # 590, San Isidro.
Services: It is a bar that always appears in the lists of the best cocktails in Lima, so your stop here is essential. Here you can try the Pisco Sour or the Chilcano in all its variations.
● La Gloria.
Address: Atahualpa Street # 201, Miraflores.
Services: This restaurant-bar offers excellent Peruvian cocktails, but the pisco and cañazo stand out.
The most tourist places in Lima
● Plaza de Armas de Lima: Declared a World Heritage Site in 1991, it is one of the main parks in the city of Lima. It is located in the Historic Center and around it you can find the Cathedral of Lima and the Government Palace of Peru. It was here that San Martin proclaimed the independence of the country in 1821. Its planning was an order of King Charles I of Spain in 1523.
● Huaca Pucllana: It is an archaeological complex that was built by the Lima culture and is composed of adobe under the "book technique". Its exact function is still mystery, but research has found mummies inside, so it is possible that here human sacrifices or religious rites were given. A tour of the huaca is currently offered.
● Costa Verde: It is the name by which this route is known. It crosses 8 different districts (La Punta, La Perla, San Miguel, Magdalena del Mar, San Isidro, Miraflores, Barranco and Chorrillos). Its construction began thanks to the then mayor of Lima, Luis Bedoya Reyes, and since then it is a recreation space for both young people and adults. In 2019, it was a space used for the Panamericano Games and the Parapanamericanos Games.
● Parque de las Leyendas: It is a zoo located in the district of San Miguel and is very popular among families due to its endless recreational possibilities. It not only has several animals that can be seen, but also with activities and courses that will arouse the curiosity of the child. In addition, for a few months they offer a night tour, so you can live a new experience in everything.
Important dates in Lima
● October 31 - Día de la Canción Criolla: On this day the country is celebrated and the best Creole songs are sung. The neighbors gather to put together parties and clubs, accompanied by the drawer and the guitar, with excellent Peruvian dishes such as anticuchos or fried trout.
● October 18 - Feast of the Lord of Miracles: The most popular saint in Lima is the Lord of Miracles, whose figure is honored since it remained intact in a strong earthquake. The processions take place throughout the month and thousands of Peruvians gather to accompany him.
● July 28 - National Holidays: Every July 28th a lot of activities are carried out, the main one being the Military Parade, in which the military forces present themselves with their weapons to honor the homeland. Popular parades are also performed, where artists gather to dance the native dances.
● January 18 - Anniversary of Lima: The Spanish foundation of Lima is celebrated, the city is also called "The city of the kings". It is common for the municipality to organize several activities throughout the city and for different singers to gather in the Plaza de Armas to serenade Lima.
How to move around Lima?
To move around in the city of Lima, the tourist has 2 options: public bus, commonly regulated by the municipality or the authority in charge, or taxi, driven by a citizen who provides the service.
● Public bus: It is the most popular way of transporting within the city, as well as being very economical. The fare, also called a ticket, does not usually go up from S/5 per person. The public bus has different stops where it picks up passengers, so the trip can be a bit slow.
● Taxi: This is the fastest way of transport within the city. It does not have stops, so it goes straight to the desired destination. You can contact it on the avenue or by calling a company or through an application. The rate here is usually higher, usually exceeding S/10.
How to reach Lima?
● Lima by bus: You can reach the city of Lima by bus, time and distance will depend on the place of departure. As is the capital of Peru, almost all destinations have an exit to here, so it will not be Hard to find a bus.
● Lima by train: There is currently no direct route to Lima, so going to Lima by train is not yet possible.
● Lima by plane: Arriving in Lima by plane is possible because the capital has the Jorge Chavez International Airport. Of course, to travel to Lima by plane you must start from a destination that has an airport too.
Terminals in Arequipa and Lima
● Terminal Terrestre Arequipa
● Terrapuerto Arequipa.
● Terminal La Victoria (Av. Luna Pizarro).
● Terminal La Victoria (Av. Paseo de la República).
● Terminal Javier Prado Este.
● Terminal San Isidro (Av. Andrés Aramburú).
● Terminal Plaza Norte.
Operators that cover the route Arequipa - Lima
● Wari Palomino.
● Movil Bus.
● Santa Úrsula.
● Transportes Cromotex.
● Rey Latino.
● Peru Hop.