Ica is a city located in the southern central of Peru. It stands out for its crops of grapes, asparagus, date palms, cotton and much more. It has recognized tourist attractions such as the Huacachina oasis and a long history to be known that the Paracas, Nazca and Chincha cultures left behind. Without a doubt, Ica is a place that you’ll love to know if you are a lover of the sun, beaches and adventure.
The climate is generally hot and dry. In the summer it reaches a temperature that exceeds 30 ° C and the minimum does not drop below 8 ° C. It also has strong winds called "paracas", which usually raise large sand storms.
Hotels in Ica
Ica has various tourist attractions and therefore has a wide variety of hotels and lodgings for all budgets. You can find cozy places to go with family or a backpacker hostel to go with friends.
Restaurantes & Bars in Ica
The gastronomy of Ica is a fusion of Creole cuisine and African cuisine. It has the representative carapulcra, this dish is accompanied with dry soup or noodles seasoned. In addition ICA is one of the places in Peru that has a variety of marine species therefore can cook dishes like seafood ceviche rich, jellies, stretcher, tiraditos among other dishes
The most tourist places in Ica
● La Laguna de la Huacachina, is a natural oasis surrounded by palm trees and eucalyptus trees, it is located in the middle of the desert. It has a very pleasant climate and you can rent boats for sail on the lagoon. The most entertaining activities to practice in this place are sandboarding and rides in sand vehicles.
● La Reserva Natural de Paracas. Considered a natural attraction of Ica, this reserve is inhabited by penguins, sea lions and dolphins. When visiting its beaches you will see the rock formation World Heritage Site "La Catedral" and in its bay "El Candelabro", a 1.20 meter geoglyph that points to the Nazca Lines. On the other hand, if you like the archeology, in Cerro Colorado you can contemplate Wari Kayan, one of the archaeological sites in Ica, where ancient human remains were located.
● Las Líneas de Nazca: The Nazca Lines, Son figuras de gran tamaño (la más grande mide 300 metros) dibujadas sobre la tierra con formas geométricas, de animales. Fueron creadas utilizando una técnica que rellena los trazos con piedras para crear un contraste de color que más tarde es cubierto por la arena. Las figuras pueden verse claramente desde el cielo, volando en una avioneta; por lo cual, su creación sigue siendo un misterio.
● Cachiche: Is known as the Town of the Witches; because according to the inhabitants it was the meeting place for women who possessed supernatural powers. What you cannot miss when you come to Cachiche is La Palmera de las 7 Cabezas, La Bruja de Cachiche statue and the Brujas de Cachiche Theme Park.
● The Pisco route: The best time to do it is between the end of February and the beginning of April. On this route you’ll take a tour of the best vineyards to learn about the process of making pisco among the most important wineries in the region are those of Tacama, Vista Alegre, Viña Santiago Queirolo and the Bodega Artesanal El Catador.
Important dates in Ica
● January 19 to January 22 - Anniversary of Nazca Ica: Artisan and photographic fairs are held, exhibition of typical dishes and drinks, as well as the inevitable pisco festival.
● February 23 - Huacachina Mermaid Festival: On this date you will see a staging of the Huacachina legend, there are also craft, wine, gastronomic fairs, costume balls and others.
● February 23 to March 11 - Festival Internacional de la Vendimia Iqueña: These days the Festival of the Grape, Election and Coronation of the Queen takes place.
● October 15- Festival del Señor de Luren: It is said that his image was mysteriously lost in the desert, during the journey from Pisco to Ica. The image was found in a desolate place called Luren. On the central day they carry out a procession through the main streets of the city, from dusk until the next day.
How to move around Ica?
To move around Ica, you can use public transport or car:
·● Public transport: It is the cheapest means of transport, the ticket costs generally S / .1.00.
● Taxi: If the routes are short, you can find services up to S / .5.00.
How to reach Ica?
Ica by bus: The distance is 314.8 km, which takes approximately 5 hours.
Gastronomy in Ica
The most delicious and representative dishes of Ica are:
- Sopa seca.
- Chupe de pallares.
- Frejol colado.
Things to buy in Ica
The most typical souvenirs that you can buy in Ica are:
- Crafts worked in clay.
- Seasonal fruits, such as the delicious mango. In Ica abounds in various types and sizes.
Ica is located on the central coast of Peru. It includes the districts of Ica, Los Aquijes, Subtanjalla, La Tinguiña and Parcona. Its territory is desert and rugged, with oases and extensive pampas, surrounded by mountain ranges, valleys, hills and dunes.
Lima and Ica Terminals
● Terminal Plaza Norte
● Javier Prado Este Terminal
● Terminal Atocongo
● La Victoria
● Terminal Ica
● Terminal El Ovalo
● Calle Lambayeque
Bus operators of the route Lima to Ica
● Perú Bus
● Expreso Santa Clara
● Paredes Estrella
● Cruz del Sur
Ica has a lot to offer, here you can have fun, learn more about history and live incredible adventures. Do not miss the Paracas Natural Reserve and its beautiful Huacachina Lagoon. Even you could easily spend here a whole week, exploring Atacama desert. When you visit this city you will want to return over and over again.