Tarapoto, founded as "Santa Cruz de los Motilones de Tarapoto", is a jungle city that is located 250 meters above sea level. Its name comes from "Tarapotus", the name of which the palm trees of the lakes were known. This territory was first explored by the Pocras and the Hanan Chancas when they fled the Inca conquest. After the Incas were defeated by the Spanish army, they were introduced to these lands in order to look for "El Dorado", which according to legend was a place full of wealth to be covered with gold. For many years, even after its official foundation, it was a mysterious site and far from the main cities, at least until the twentieth century that was when the trails and airports began to be built. It was long believed that the foundation of Tarapoto was thanks to a Spanish bishop, but then it was discovered that Tarapoto was formed in 1765, which was the year in which this territory began to be populated. Currently, Tarapoto is a city of great commercial interest, especially in the northe of Peru, thanks to its export of coffee, cocoa, banana, sacha inchi and sunflower oil.
Climate in Tarapoto
● Tarapoto is a city with a tropical climate, which is why it is usually hot and with a very strong sun. In fact, the average annual temperature does not usually fall below 25 ° C, and it can reach up to 32 ° C in the summer months (January and February). Throughout the year the behavior is similar, but between June and August one can speak of a decrease (although minimal) of heat. Rains are also very frequent here, although they decrease a bit from June to August.
Hotels in Tarapoto
● The Inn Inn.
- Address: Calle San Martín # 146, Tarapoto.
- Price: From S / 55.
- Services: This hotel is very quiet and, in addition to being at a very good price, it is located in a central location, very close to the Plaza de Armas. Here you can book rooms with balcony, which are the favorite of tourists, but you must do it in time.
● Hotel Nilas.
- Address: Jirón Moyobamba # 173, Tarapoto.
- Price: From S / 130.
- Services: This great hotel is very economical, ideal for those who wish to make a trip without spending much. The rooms are spacious and very comfortable, and guests also have access to the pool, gym and restaurant.
● Pumarinri Amazon Lodge.
- Address: 30 kilometers east of Tarapoto (Reference: Near the Huallaga River).
- Price: From S / 159.
- Services: In this lodge, the rooms are perfect for disconnecting from the city and stress due to the proximity to nature. In addition, the staff of this lodge is always willing to make excursions to teach the birds that live there.
● Río Shicalyo Hotel.
- Address: Calle Las Flores # 224, Tarapoto.
- Price: From S / 251.
- Services: This hotel is a pleasant establishment to spend the days, surrounded by nature and excellent services such as swimming pool and room service. In addition, here they offer an extensive and varied variety of alcoholic drinks menu.
● Hotel Los Aguajes de Sauce.
- Address: Road of 2 de Mayo, Tarapoto.
- Price: From S / 297.
- Services: This fabulous hotel has spacious and well-equipped rooms, some even have a balcony with a great view of the nature and the pool. The room comes with free breakfast plus flat screen TV.
Restaurants & Bars in Tarapoto
● Restaurant "Quilpa Tostaduria"
- Address: Jirón Leoncio Prado # 155, Tarapoto.
- Price: From S / 30.
- Services: This restaurant is well known for its delicious coffee, which is prepared by them. In addition to this great jungle product, they also offer delicious snacks to be shared among friends.
● Restaurant "La Patarashca"
- Address: Jirón Lamas # 261, Tarapoto.
- Price: From S / 13.
- Services: The main dish of this restaurant is the juanes, which is the representative dish of Tarapoto. In addition, here they also serve Patarashca, which is a dish full of fish, tomatoes, onions, garlic and sacha.
● Bar "Anaconda"
- Address: Jirón San Martín # 580, Tarapoto.
- Services: This great bar is perfect to have a good time with friends and enjoy delicious jungle drinks. The great thing about this bar is that it accepts reservations in case you have a special event, so you can spend an amazing night.
● Bar "The Alternative"
- Address: Calle Grau # 401, Tarapoto.
- Services: There is nothing more spectacular than spending a night at the bar "The Alternative". A very efficient customer service and the best drinks so that you will enjoy the night.
The most tourist places in Tarapoto
● Carpishuyacu Waterfall: This beautiful waterfall is a favorite of nature lovers. To get there you must embark on a 45-minute walk and you must be very careful because the stones are slippery due to the water. Also, upon entering you will have the possibility to see the hot springs of San José.
● Pucayaquillo Waterfall: Another good option to enjoy nature in Tarapoto. This waterfall is not as deep as others in the city, but that does not make it less spectacular. You can bathe here if you have brought your bathing clothes, do not forget to take photos!
● Huacamaillo Waterfall: To get here, you must walk for about 2 hours. It is an arduous road, but certainly very rewarding when you see the view of this natural landscape. During the walk, you may see the Huacamaillo pool or the Cumbaza river, and it is the perfect opportunity to stop and take a great dip.
● Lamas: Also called "Folk Capital of the Region", it is the territory and home of the Wayku community. Here there are different tourist places to visit such as the Indigenous Museum or the Castle of Lamas, a construction with medieval architecture that promises a great view.
● Laguna Azul: Despite its name, its water is not blue, but an emerald green color that in the distance acquires the blue hue. You can find it in the district of Sauce and you must reach it through a public bus or a bus. If you want to stay more nights, no problem! There are hotels that will make your stay easier.
Important dates in Tarapoto
● July 8th - Tarapoto tourist week: This week is popular among tourists, both national and international, for the color and joy that invade the city. This week the Holy Cross of the Motilones, the patron saint of Tarapoto. In addition to the traditional masses, it is common for fairs to be held where food and handicrafts produced with much love and appreciation are shared and sold.
● August 14th - Spanish Foundation of Tarapoto: This celebration lasts a week, so it ends on August 22, and the foundation of the city is celebrated. Within these days, the streets are painted in colors and different food stalls in order to attract tourists. Dances are also performed and sung with great fervor.
How to move around Tarapoto?
To move around in the city of Tarapoto, the tourist has 2 options: public bus, commonly regulated by the municipality or the authority in charge, or taxi, driven by a citizen who provides the service.
● Public bus: It is the most popular way of transporting within the city, as well as being very economical. The fare, also called a ticket, does not usually go up from S/5 per person. The public bus has different stops where it picks up passengers, so the trip can be a bit slow.
● Taxi: This is the fastest way of transport within the city. It does not have stops, so it goes straight to the desired destination. You can contact it on the avenue or by calling a company or through an application. The rate here is usually higher, usually exceeding S/10.
How to reach Tarapoto?
● Tarapoto by bus: Arriving in Tarapoto by bus is a great possibility because it allows you to see the Peruvian flora and marvel at the landscapes of the jungle. Usually the bus can take between 19 to 22 hours, this will also depend on the place of origin.
● Tarapoto by train: It is not yet possible to reach Tarapoto by train.
● Tarapoto by plane: Going to Tarapoto by plane is a great option for those who want a quick trip. The Guillermo del Castillo Paredes International Airport is very well equipped to receive the number of tourists arriving annually to the city of Tarapoto.