There are many theories about the name’s city origin, it seems to come from several Quechua words... but what we know is that Huancavelica was founded in 1571 by the Spanish under the name Villa Rica de Oropesa, since they arrived there for the discovery of mercury mines. Huancavelica stands out for the cultural legacy that the Incas and the Spanish that inhabited the territory left; the colonial architecture still is a testimony of it. In the 20th century, Huancavelica faced a terrible social crisis with the departments that are part of the Andean trapezium, which was aggravated by droughts and floods. In the 80s decade, the city had to face also terrorism problems, which encouraged a lot of people to migrate from the city to the coast. Nevertheless, nowadays Huancavelica is rising from the bad times and is recovering its stability. In Huancavelica there are numerous sites and archaeological complexes to visit as Mosoqcancha, Antaccocha, Pumaqoria, Astobamba Paturpampa, and the petroglyphs of Inka Wayqo and Qeromachay, whose origin comes from 7000 years b.C.
The weather in Huancavelica is typical of the Peruvian mountain range, with cold temperatures throughout the night and fresh weather in the afternoons. The temperature in Huancavelica varies between 2 and 15 °C. The best time to visit Huancavelica is from January to May, as the rains are moderate.
Hoteles in Huancavelica
● Hotel Plaza Pampas
- 169 Grau Street, Huancavelica, Peru
- Price: From S/ 70.00
- Services: It has individual, double, and family rooms. 24-hour reception. Free parking. Air conditioning. Room service. Restaurant.
● Illary Hotel
- 334 Carabaya Street, Huancavelica, Peru
- Price: From S/ 100.00
- Services: It has double rooms. 24-hour reception. Free parking. Includes breakfast.
Restaurantes & Bars in Huancavelica
● Nesul Coffee
- 210 Virrey Toledo Street, Huancavelica, Peru
- Price: From S/ 8.00
● Killa Cafe
- 315 Virrey Toledo Street, Huancavelica Plaza de Armas, Peru
- Price: From S/ 8.00
Tourist Places in Huancavelica
● San Cristobal District: On the Potoqchi's slope, you can find water springs of the San Cristobal district. This attraction is part of the tourist complex that gathers many tourists throughout the year.
● Incahuasi Archeological Complex: Located in the Huaytara district at 3800 m.a.s.l, is one of the most important constructions of the region. This complex is open to the public from April to September, so we recommend traveling on these dates to explore the compounds, canals, plazas, and many more attractions that Incahuasi offers.
Fechas Importantes de Huancavelica
● December 30th to January 2nd – Hommage to the Callaocarpino and Jacobo Kids Festivity: This festivity is celebrated on New Years' eve. Legend says that on a prairie in Santa Barbara you could see two kids playing. However, when anyone tried to come close to them, they always ran away. From that moment, two statues to represent these kids, as well as Eucharistic celebrations and numerous shows.
● Easter in Huancavelica: Easter in Huancavelica starts with Palm Sunday, where the representative image of JesusChrist goes through the streets departing from the Santa Ana Church. You can also see processions on the commemorative dates.
How to move around Huancavelica?
- Taxis: It is the easiest way to move around the city, as it is quicker and safer.
- Mototaxis: There are many mototaxis around the city, that allow mobilization at comfortable rates.
How to reach Huancavelica?
Huancavelica by bus: You can travel from Lima to Huancavelica by land. The trip takes 12 hours approximately.
Gastronomy in Huancavelica
You can taste dishes like:
- Mondongo soup
- Grilled ram
- Guinea pig stew
- Fried trout
Things to buy in Huancavelica
Initially founded as "Villa Rica de Oropesa", Huancavelica is one of the 7 provinces that conforms to the namesake department. Inside the Huancavelica department, the namesake city is the most populated one, despite not being the biggest one. Huancavelica limits Lima at the west, which makes it a near destination for tourists.
Bus operators on the Lima to Huancavelica route
● Via Peru
● Turismo Oropesa
Huancavelica is a city with many activities to do. Culture, adventure, and good food are the perfect ingredients for a unique trip.