Arequipa is known as the legal capital of Peru and also known as the "White City". This name comes from the style of the city's arquitecture using a white volcani to visit the majestic Cathedral of Arequipa, the church of San Domingo and the Santa Catalina monastery. To have a nice view of the city, climb up to the Yanahuara c stone as the main material to build. Arequipa is one of the biggest cities in Peru and it's as well ranked 3rd destination of the country for its tourism. We advice you view point. You can also visit the Misti volcano. If you are lucky, you will be there for the Arequipa carnival, one of the most well-known carnivals, celebrated in February and March.
Climate of Arequipa
● Arequipa is a department of temperate climate, which is why it can reach a temperature of 22°C. Your summer is usually quite comfortable with a sky that sometimes becomes cloudy. Several tourists agree that the best time of the year to travel to Arequipa is between April and December, since in these months the sun is present and the temperature is high.
Hotels in Arequipa
● The Bridge Inn
- Address: Avenida Bolognesi # 101, Arequipa (Reference: In the corner of the Grau bridge).
- Price: From S / 300.
- Services: This great hotel is located on the edge of a river, achieving a phenomenal experience. It offers bungalows to its customers, each with TV and cable.
● The Tambos
- Address: Calle Puente Bolognesi # 129, Arequipa.
- Price: From S / 210.
- Services: Located 50 meters from the Plaza de Armas, Los Tambos offers double rooms that come with breakfast and free Wi-Fi.
● The Andes
- Address: Calle La Merced # 123, Arequipa.
- Price: From S / 38.
- Services: In addition to offering laundry and shared kitchen, this hotel also offers rooms that include breakfast.
● Dragonfly Hostels Arequipa
- Address: Calle Consuelo, Arequipa (Reference: At the intersection with Álvarez Thomas Street).
- Price: From S / 35.
- Services: This hotel offers a great experience due to its rooms, which have WIFI and hot shower. Travelers can also enjoy the shared areas.
● Posada Misti
- Address: Calle Álvarez Thomas # 204, Arequipa.
- Price: From S / 15.
- Services: This inn is the best option for those who wish to save money. Here the bedrooms are from 6 to 9 people and offers free WIFI.
Restaurantes & Bars in Arequipa
● Restaurant "Antojitos de Arequipa"
- Address: General Morán Street # 125, Arequipa.
- Price: From S / 8.
- Services: In this restaurant you can find everything and the best thing is that it receives you with a very cozy atmosphere, similar to a house. In the menu you can find foods of all kinds, including lunch dishes such as sandwiches.
● Restaurant "White House"
- Address: Next to the Plaza de Armas of Arequipa.
- Price: From S / 10.
- Services: This beautiful restaurant has a great feature: a fireplace that stands out among all its architecture. Here they sell a bit of everything, but their specialty is Arequipa cuisine.
● Qochacama Bar
- Address: Calle Ugarte # 300, Arequipa.
- Services: This bar is well known among tourists due to its cozy atmosphere and friendly workers. Here you will not only find a large number of drinks in its menu, but also a lot of fun.
● Montreal Le Café Art Bar
- Address: Calle Ugarte # 210, Arequipa.
- Services: This small bar stands out among others that you can find in the city due to its pleasant and exclusive atmosphere. Here, in addition to the bands that play on weekends, one can have a good time by talking with friends or enjoying cocktails.
The most tourist places in Arequipa
● Plaza de Armas of Arequipa: Like any Plaza de Armas, this is the main park of the department. In addition, it is a site of architectural importance, since around it are the Cathedral and different important buildings.
● Santa Catalina Monastery: This is considered by tourists as one of Arequipa's main tourist destinations. It is the living example of the architecture of the Peruvian Viceroyalty due to its construction with pink and white ashlar.
● Yanahuara Viewpoint: This is a white ashlar construction built around the 19th century. Its main objective is to offer a wonderful view of the Misti, Chachani and the Pichu Pichu, the three volcanoes of Arequipa.
● Misti Volcano: It is located 20 kilometers from the city of Arequipa, on the northeast side. It has a height of 5,825 meters above sea level and it is said that from the top it is possible to see the other 2 volcanoes and the Chili river valley.
Important dates in Arequipa
● February 26th - Carnival of Arequipa: Carnivals are one of the most visited parties in Peru and Arequipa is no exception. This grand event lasts 6 days and is characterized by painted characters and water games, in addition to the parades where you dance and play. Dance in particular aims to conquer women.
● March 24th - Holy Week in Arequipa: It lasts 7 days and one of the most important historical passages of the Christian religion is celebrated: the passion, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. This week Holy Thursday is celebrated, where Judas betrayed Jesus, as well as the journey of the 7 churches.
● May 1st - Virgin of Chapi: It is a very popular religious celebration in Arequipa. In fact, the Virgin of Chapi has been worshiped for approximately 3 centuries since her statue was found on the hill. On this day, a procession is made to the district of Polabaya, where its temple is located.
● August 7th - Anniversary of the Spanish foundation of Arequipa: In a party that lasts 8 days, it is celebrated that in 1540 the city was founded by the Spanish people. These days are full of joy, which is why different competitions are held, including the Forged Iron Contest.
How to move around Arequipa?
To move around in the city of Lima, the tourist has 2 options: public bus, commonly regulated by the municipality or the authority in charge, or taxi, driven by a citizen who provides the service.
● Public bus: It is the most popular way of transporting within the city, as well as being very economical. The fare, also called a ticket, does not usually go up from S/5 per person. The public bus has different stops where it picks up passengers, so the trip can be a bit slow.
● Taxi: This is the fastest way of transport within the city. It does not have stops, so it goes straight to the desired destination. You can contact it on the avenue or by calling a company or through an application. The rate here is usually higher, usually exceeding S/10.
How to reach Arequipa?
● Arequipa by bus: Arequipa is one of the most popular cities in Peru, so you can always find a bus that arrives here. The time and distance will depend on the place of origin, so we advise you to check these details well before of deciding to take a bus.
● Arequipa by train: There is currently no train to Arequipa due to the few roads that Peru has.
● Arequipa by plane: Arequipa has the Rodríguez Ballón International Airport, so traveling to Arequipa by plane is a possibility. Please take in mind that the point of origin must have an airport as well.