Arequipa, also called the white city, it constitutes an important industrial and commercial center of Peru. This city surrounded by volcanoes is full of charm and each gastronomic dish will make you want to stay in this place forever.
Arequipa has an arid temperate climate, with an average temperature of about 14.5 ° C, its humidity temperature occurs from December to March, with the presence of clouds and little rainfall. On winter days the temperature can drop to 6 ° C.
Hotels in Arequipa
The white city offers you many options for hotels and lodgings, some very luxurious and others cheaper, but cozy.
Restaurantes & Bars in Arequipa
If you're traveling through Arequipa and it's time for lunch, visit its main restaurants and try some of its typical dishes, the ones you shouldn't miss are: Shrimp Chupe, Stuffed Rocoto, Solterito, Arequipeño Adobo and Ocopa.
The most tourist places in Arequipa
· Misti Volcano: If you visit Arequipa you cannot miss it. This volcano measures 5,822 meters and is more than 800 thousand years old. It can be appreciated from any part of Arequipa, but the ideal is to take a tour (including trekking) and thus get to know all its majesty up close.
· Ruta del Sillar: The ashlar is a famous stone that originates from volcanoes. If you want to know more about the extraction process of this, you should know more about the ashlar route, in which you will take a tour of quarries to better understand the work of carving.
· Santa Catalina Monastery: Located in the center of the city, this monastery was built in the 16th century and has more than 20 thousand square meters of land. Every corner is steeped in history and its architecture is worth admiring.
· Mirador de Yanahuara: In Yanahuara you will find this beautiful viewpoint and it is one of the most spectacular in Arequipa. It is located just a 10-minute walk from the center of Arequipa, this place has arches worked in white ashlar, in which you can read phrases of illustrious people from Peru.
· Colca Canyon: This impressive jewel of Peruvian nature is the main tourist attraction in the Arequipa region, Colca is one of the deepest canyons (in addition to being narrow) in the world.
Important dates in Arequipa
• March - April: Carnavales Arequipeños. They are very well known and are characterized by the celebration of colorful parties, music and good food.
• May 1 to 3 - Tradicional Peregrinaje al Santuario de la Virgen de Chapi: On this date, many devotees make the promise of arriving three consecutive years at the sanctuary of the Virgin.
• July 28 to 29 - National Holidays: The festival is lived throughout the country and in the city of Arequipa events such as parades, regional fairs, folk concerts and much more take place.
• August 15 - Anniversary of Arequipa: In commemoration of Arequipa, civic-religious activities, festivals, burning of castles and / or artificial ones, among others, are carried out.
How to move around Arequipa?
If you are visiting Arequipa you can use:
• Public transport: It is the cheapest and the tickets cost on average S / 1.50.
• Taxi: If the route you will take is short, the passage will be S / 5.00 on average.
• Car rental: If you know how to drive, you can choose to rent a car and move around on your own, renting a car costs on average S / 168.00.
How to reach Arequipa?
• Arequipa by bus: If the starting point is Camaná, the distance is 177.1 km. The approximate travel time is 3 hours and 11 minutes.
Gastronomy in Arequipa
The most popular typical dishes of Arequipa are:
- Chupe de camarones
- Rocoto relleno
- Adobo arequipeño
Things to buy in Arequipa
The souvenirs and gifts that you can buy when visiting Arequipa are:
- Glasses for aniseed
- Bags with Caylloma fabrics
- Leather notebook
- Pictures of the city and countryside of Arequipa
- Loncco birth
Arequipa is located in the highlands of Peru, the lowest part of the city is located at an altitude of 2041 meters above sea level in the sector called Huayco in the district of Uchumayo. It is surrounded by volcanic cones and forms snowy peaks, of which the Misti, Chachani and Pichu Pichu stand out. The central part of the city is crossed by the Chili River from north to southwest which forms a valley as it passes, this has an outlet for the coast and highlands of the country.
Bus operators of the route Camana to Arequipa
Arequipa is one of the tourist attractions of Peru with more beautiful places to visit. Its food will leave you enchanted, as will its architecture and its people. Do not forget that El Misti and the Mirador de Yanahuara should be the first places you should visit when you arrive.