Cusco to Arequipa Bus
The travel from the mystic city of Cusco to the white city of Arequipa is at 301 mi (485 km) of distance and it takes about 10 hours by land. The main transportation companies that cover this route Cusco - Arequipa are: Oltursa, Excluciva, Tepsa, Movil Tours and Civa. They provide bus tickets from 7:00 a.m. throughout the day untill 8:45 p.m. You can find bus tickets from s/. 40 if you choose the cheapest service, to s/. 110 if you look for more comfort for your trip. The terminals in Cusco are located in the outskirts of the central area of the city. In Arequipa the buses will arrive to the Terrapuerto Internacional and surroundings. The climate in Arequipa can be dry, temperate or semi-dry, depending on the season, with sunny days most of the year and rainy season at the begining of the year.
Why book a Cusco to Arequipa bus with redBus?
You can also time-to-time redBus offers while booking your bus tickets online from Cusco to Arequipa. Follow a simple, fast and secure bus booking procedure. This helps save time and also helps to create a joyful travel experience!
Cusco or Cuzco (both graphical symbols are acceptable according to the RAE, Real Academy of the Spanish language) is the main destination that you can get to know on your trips through Peru. Learn more about it in this section.The legend tells that Cusco was founded by 2 ancestral patriarchs, who, due to the design of the deity Sun, emerged from the Titicaca lake with the mission of putting in order the Andean men’s life. They would be the beginning of the vast Incan Empire, which as time goes by would reach its maximum glory consolidating as a powerful State. In 1911 the American explorer Hiram Bingham would refind the incan citadel to the world’s eyes with the discovery of Machu Picchu. From that day the growth of Cusco has been exponential, turning to be one of the most visited worldwide tourist destinations and favourite place for national and foreign tourists to “discover” the beauty of the Machu Picchu citadel on its travel to Cusco.
Arequipa, also called La Ciudad Blanca, is a place with a lot of history. In addition, it is also an important industrial and commercial center of Peru. Each place in this place is full of charm and each gastronomic dish will make you want to stay in this place forever.
Arequipa has an arid temperate climate, with an average temperature of about 14.5 ° C, if the temperature rises it does not exceed 25 ° C. It has wet periods that occur between the months of December to March. On winter days the temperature can drop to 6 ° C.
Hotels in Arequipa
Arequipa has a huge variety of hotels, from very luxurious to inexpensive backpacker-type options. You can visit this beautiful city with your partner, family or friends, you will find accommodation for all tastes and all pockets.
Restaurants & Bars in Arequipa
La ciudad blanca has endless delicacies when it comes to gastronomy, if you visit its restaurants you can stop trying some dishes such as: Chupe de camarones, Rocoto rellenos, Solterito, Arequipeño Adobo and Ocopa.
The most tourist places in Arequipa
● Misti Volcano: It is one of the most impressive destinations in Arequipa. The Misti volcano measures 5,822 meters and is more than 800 thousand years old. The volcano can be seen from anywhere in Arequipa and you can take a tour (with trekking included) and thus get to know all its majesty.
● Santa Catalina Monastery: It is located in the center of the city. This monastery was built in the 16th century and has more than 20 thousand square meters that you can explore from end to end. Every corner is steeped in history and its architecture is worth admiring.
● Reserva Nacional de Salinas y Aguada Blanca: In this reserve you can find other volcanoes in Arequipa and also typical animals of the highlands, such as: llamas, alpacas. vicuñas and guanacos.
● Mirador de Yanahuara: In the picturesque district of Yanahuara is this beautiful viewpoint, which is one of the most spectacular in Arequipa. It is only a 10-minute walk from the center of Arequipa, so you can walk to it.
· Bosque de Piedras Choqolaqa ; It looks like a landscape from another planet and is known as Nuevo Arequipa. Legend has it that one day the inhabitants of this place stopped respecting their Apus and as punishment everything turned to stone.
Important dates in Arequipa
● March - April: Carnivals in Arequipa. In many places in Peru, a few days or weeks of these months are dedicated to celebrating the much acclaimed carnivals. Arequipa is not far behind, on these dates you can enjoy music, dance and delicious typical dishes of the region.
● May 1 to 3 - Traditional Pilgrimage to the Santuario de la Virgen de Chapi: On these dates many devotees have the custom of making the promise to arrive three consecutive years at the sanctuary of the Virgin.
● July 28 to 29 - Fiestas Patrias: The festival is lived throughout the country, in the city of Arequipa events such as parades, regional fairs and folk concerts are held.
● August 15 - Anniversary of Arequipa: Various civic-religious activities are carried out as well as a parade of floats, festivals, burning of castles and / or artificial, among others.
How to move around Arequipa?
To transport yourself through the city of Arequipa you can use these means:
• Public transport: It is the cheapest and the tickets cost on average S / 1.50.
• Taxi: If the route you will take is short, the passage will be S / 5.00 on average.
• Car: If you know how to drive, you can choose to rent a car and move around on your own, renting a car costs on average S / 168.00.
How to reach Arequipa?
Arequipa by bus: If the starting point is Cusco, the distance is 491.2 km. The approximate travel time is 8 hours and 15 minutes.
Gastronomy in Arequipa
The typical dishes of Arequipa are:
- Chupe de camarones
- Rocoto relleno
- Adobo arequipeño
Things to buy in Arequipa
- Copas para anisado
- Bolsos con tejidos de Caylloma
- Libreta de apuntes de cuero
- Cuadros de la ciudad y campiña de Arequipa
- Nacimiento loncco
Arequipa is located in the highlands of Peru. The central part of the city is crossed by the Chili River from north to southwest, which forms a valley, called the Arequipa Valley or Chili Valley. Is protected to the north and east by the Andean cordilleran belt and towards the south and west through the low ranges of hills. From the city you can see a series of volcanic cones that form snow-capped mountains such as the renowned Misti volcano, in addition to Chachani and Pichu Pich. Its territory is rugged due to the presence of the Andes Mountains.
Cusco and Arequipa Terminals
● Terminal de Cusco
● Terrapuerto Arequipa
● Terminal Terrestre Arequipa
● Terminal Cono Norte
Bus operators of the route Cusco to Arequipa
● Movil Bus
● Turismo Puma
Arequipa is one of the tourist attractions of Peru that you cannot miss. Every dish and each place will leave you impressed. El Misti and the Mirador de Yanahuara must be the first places you should visit when you visit Arequipa. There is a great variety of lodgings and restaurants with all prices and with impeccable service.