Lima, also known as "The City of the Kings" or "Lima, la gris", is the capital of Peru. Founded in 1535 by the Spanish Francisco Pizarro, currently has more than 8.5 million inhabitants, thus being the most populous city in Peru. This territory was occupied by the ancient Maranga culture and Lima culture, before both were conquered by the Wari culture. It is for this reason that until now you can find huacas in different parts of the city of Lima. During the viceroyalty, the city became very important until it became the center of political and economic power. Its excellent location, since it was close to a sea, made it part of a large commercial network that included not only America, but also Europe and East Asia. When the independence of Peru occured in 1821, Lima adopted its new role as capital of the Republic of Peru. In fact, the most important building of democracy, the Government Palace, is located in this city. Finally, in 1930s, the migratory waves from the interior of the country to Lima begin, thus initiating urban expansion.
Distance between Cusco and Lima
Traveling from Cusco to Lima takes approximately 20 hours and 40 minutes. Of course, this will depend a lot on the bus stops during the road as well as the chosen route.
Climate in Lima
● In Lima, the climate is characterized by being arid and comfortable, with small gusts of wind from time to time. It is a city where the four seasons are not distinguished, only summer and winter differ, and that is why the sky is almost always gray (hence the nickname of this city, "Lima, la gris"). Sometimes it can reach a maximum temperature of 27ºC, this is in summer, or a minimum temperature of 14 º C, especially during the winter months.
Hotels in Lima
● The Tambopacaya Hotel.
- Address: Jirón Manco Capac # 212, Magdalena del Mar.
- Price: From S / 20.
- Services: This fabulous hotel is the best option if you are looking for a comfortable place but at a good price. In addition to having modern rooms, among its services includes the bathroom with hot water, free WIFI and a shared kitchen.
● Hotel El Encuentro.
- Address: Circunvalación Avenue # 2344, San Luis.
- Price: From S / 35.
- Services: This hotel is a perfect option to mix the good price with comfort. Located in San Luis, it is very close to the mall, which will make travel easy. It has double bed rooms that include television.
● Sky Peru Hotel.
Address: Calle Chamaya # 137, San Miguel.
Price: From S / 100.
Services: Just 15 minutes from the Jorge Chavez Airport, this is an option that allows you to be in a midpoint without paying too much. Its rooms are spacious and very comfortable, and in the hotel there is also a restaurant and a bar.
● Hotel Nobility.
Address: Avenida Roosevelt # 6461, Miraflores.
Price: From S/300.
Services: This 4-star hotel is very popular among tourists because it competes directly with the Hilton Hotel, with the difference that it is cheaper. In addition to excellent rooms, in this great hotel you will also find a sports hall and a sauna.
● Hilton Lima Hotel.
Address: Avenida La Paz # 1099, Miraflores.
Price: From S / 800.
Services: This hotel is listed as one of the most prestigious in Lima, being here is a luxury. The rooms are, without a doubt, an experience from another world, besides having a huge swimming pool.
Restaurants & Bars in Lima
● La Tiendecita Blanca Restaurant
Address: Avenida Larco # 111, Miraflores.
Price: From S / 50.
Services: This great restaurant is famous among Lima's own due to its elegant and Swiss style. In addition to its excellent food, it is a restaurant of great tradition since it has been over 50 years old.
● Mirasol restaurant
Address: Jirón Choquehuanca # 209, Chorrillos.
Price: From S / 40.
Services: This restaurant specializes in seafood and is very popular among tourists, who come here to taste the delicious ceviche. You can also find typical dishes of Peruvian cuisine in general.
● Bar "El Bolivarcito"
Address: Jirón de la Unión # 926, Lima Center.
Services: This small and cozy bar is popular with young people from Lima due to its location, very close to Plaza San Martín. It is very crowded because the best Pisco Sour of Lima is served here.
● Etheria nightclub.
Address: Ucello Street # 220, San Borja.
Services: It is a great nightclub that receives Lima and tourists for quite some time. Here the current music is combined with the old one, besides offering excellent drinks.
The most tourist places in Lima
● Magic Water Circuit: Also called "Parque de las Reservas", it is a very popular entertainment center where families usually spend Sundays. Here you will find different pools and water jets that have the characteristic of dancing according to the music and lights. At night, some bands play live here.
● Larco Museum: Located in the Pueblo Libre district, it is a place full of history and art that has stood out among international lists. Pieces of up to 5000 years of history are exhibited here, starting with pre-Columbian cultures until today's culture. On other occasions it offers collections from other countries.
● Park of Legends: A distinguished zoo located in the San Miguel district. It is so large that it is divided into four zones, which are also called regions: coast, mountains, jungle and, the most recent, international. In addition to this, it has playgrounds for children and various learning workshops.
● Cerro San Cristóbal: A tourist attraction that has come out in different Peruvian movies, series and books. It is a viewpoint from which you can see all of Lima, and which is accessed after an hour and a half of walking.
Important dates in Lima
● January 18 - Anniversary of Lima: This date is very important for Lima and Peru itself as it is celebrated the day Francisco Pizarro founded Lima. To celebrate it, different activities around the city are carried out, although the main point is the Plaza de Armas.
● July 27 - Fiestas Patrias: Honor is given to the homeland, to the nation, and that is why multiple streets are closed to give way to colorful parades, full of music and dance. In addition, it is tradition that the military parade is given, which is where the military marches through Brazil Avenue.
● October 18 - Feast of the Lord of Miracles: In Lima, there is no saint who is better worshiped than the Lord of Miracles. During these days, the Lord leaves his church and travels through different points of the Historic Center while blessing the people. It is common for people to visit him wearing a purple outfit.
● October 31 - Día de la Canción Criolla: Honor is given to the popular songs that have accompanied Peru since its independence. Parties, clubs and contests are held where picarones and anticuchos are eaten while dancing to the beat of a good song.
How to move around Lima?
To move around in the city of Lima, the tourist has 2 options: public bus, commonly regulated by the municipality or the authority in charge, or taxi, driven by a citizen who provides the service.
● Public bus: It is the most popular way of transporting within the city, as well as being very economical. The fare, also called a ticket, does not usually go up from S/5 per person. The public bus has different stops where it picks up passengers, so the trip can be a bit slow.
● Taxi: This is the fastest way of transport within the city. It does not have stops, so it goes straight to the desired destination. You can contact it on the avenue or by calling a company or through an application. The rate here is usually higher, usually exceeding S/10.
How to reach Lima?
● Lima by bus: You can reach the city of Lima by bus, time and distance will depend on the place of departure. As is the capital of Peru, almost all destinations have an exit to here, so it will not be Hard to find a bus.
● Lima by train: There is currently no direct route to Lima, so going to Lima by train is not yet possible.
● Lima by plane: Arriving in Lima by plane is possible because the capital has the Jorge Chavez International Airport. Of course, to travel to Lima by plane you must start from a destination that has an airport too.
Terminals in Cusco and Lima
● Terminal Terrestre Cusco.
● Terminal La Victoria (Av. Paseo de la República).
● Terminal La Victoria (Av. Luna Pizarro).
● Terminal La Victoria (Av. Garcia Naranjo).
● Terminal San Isidro (Av. Andrés Aramburú).
● Terminal Excluciva (Av. Javier Prado Este).
● Terminal Javier Prado (Av. Javier Prado Este).
● Terminal Plaza Norte.
Operators that work on the route Cusco - Lima
● Wari Palomino.
● Paredes Estrella.
● Perú Hop.