The first Hispanic settlements in Tacna date from 1572. In the pre-Columbian period, the territory was inhabited by different indigenous communities as the uros, lupacas and camanchacos, until the arrival of the inca Túpac Yupanqui, who conquered Tacna, adding the territory to the Incan Empire. During the colonial period there were indigenous uprisings that would cause the reduction of the population by the Spanish soldiers hands. After the independence in 1821, Tacna would be recognized as the “heroic city” for the role of the city and the locals in the achievement of the Peru’s independence. Inside the history, rich of historical events, Tacna passed from being a Peruvian city to taking part of the Chilean territory, as direct result of the Pacific War (war between Peru and Chile); at this war, part of Tacna had to be given. However, in 1929 Tacna joins again Peru, after more than 50 years being in possession of Chile. In Tacna took place the most important events of the 20th century as the “Tacnazo”, coup d’état where the military government of the president Juan Velasco Alvarado was overthrown.
The city of Tacna was founded on June 25, 1855, but its bases are from the colonial period, when the indigenous fall occurred. The city of Tacna was declared a Heroic City since it had a preponderant role for the Independence of Peru. During the years 1880 and 1929, the city was administered by Chile. It is located about 500 meters above sea level and its main hills are Intiorko, Arunta and Chastudal.
Tacna´s weather is temperate subtropical and desert. This generates large dust and sand uprisings. With maximum temperatures up to 32 ° C, the average temperature is 18 ° C and a minimum is 8 ° C.
Hotels in Tacna
In the city of Tacna, there is the Free Zone, the main reason why people usually travel there. This area is where you can buy a wide variety of items at low costs, due to being exempt from taxes. For this reason, Tacna offers a variety of accommodation that adjusts to the needs of its visitors. However, Tacna has a small but beautiful tourist circuit to visit through private tours, which also generates a tourist reception that seeks to know and enjoy new things.
Restaurantes & Bars in Tacna
The local gastronomy has as representative dish its famous Spicy a la Tacneña, as well as they generally offer the stuffed chili Charquicán, rice with duck, the marraqueta bread, among others. Tacna also has production of liqueurs such as peach liquor, peach wine, fruit macerates, wines and piscos.
The most tourist places in Tacna
● Tour around the city: You will be able to visit from the historical center as houses of illustrious characters, in addition to the Ornamental Pile, the Parabolic Arch, and the Cathedral Church of Tacna and the Railway Museum.
● The Museum of the Defenders of the Alto del Alianza: Located 8 km from the city, it is the site of the battle of Tacna in 1880. There is a monument in homage to the defenders of the homeland and the Museo de Sitio Alto de la Alliance.
● Coastal or coastal tour: You can visit stops such as the Burros gorge, the Inka coastal path, the Solar Clock, Punta San Pablo, Grau port, the Ite wetlands and the Punta Picata petroglyphs.
Important dates in Tacna
● May 26 - Anniversary of the Battle of Alto de la Alianza.
● June 20 - Homage to the first cry for freedom launched by Jose Antonio de Zela.
● August 28 - Tacna Week. Procession of the Flag. Agricultural, Industrial and Artisan Fair.
How to move around Tacna?
There are 2 options to mobilize in the city of Tacna, the tourist can choose the public bus, commonly regulated by the municipality or taxi, managed by a citizen who provides a service.
● Public bus: It is the most popular form of transportation within the city, as well as being very economical. The rate does not usually rise from S / 3 per person. The public bus has different stops where it picks up passengers, so the trip can be a little slow.
● Taxi: This is the fastest way of transportation within the city. This means of transport goes straight to the desired destination. You can take one on the streets, calling a company or through an application. The rate here is usually higher, usually exceeding S / 7.
How to reach Tacna?
● Tacna by bus: Traveling to Tacna by bus will be a great option if you want to see a coastal landscape. The Panamericana Sur highway integrates with the Costanera highway in a section of 1222 km and a journey time of approximately 18 hours.
● Tacna by train: Tacna has a station in the city, the Railroad travels from the city of Tacna to Arica.
● Tacna by plane: Tacna has the Coronel FAP Carlos Ciriani Santa Rosa International Airport managed by Andean Airports of Peru.
Gastronomy in Tacna
In the city of Tacna, you will try delicious dishes such as:
- Spicy tacneña.
- Adobo tacneño.
- Tacneña casserole.
Things to Buy in Tacna
The most typical souvenirs that you can buy in Tacna are:
- Leather bags.
- Ceramic crafts.
- Miniatures of the Parabolic Arc.
Tacna is on the south western coast of Peru and has 4 provinces: Tacna, Tarata, Jorge Basadre and Candarave. Its climate is diverse for having a territory in its majority of coast and a third part is located in the heights of the mountain range. The coast has a dry climate, with temperature variations from 12ºC to 30ºC, while its average temperature is 16.5 ° C. The remarkable feature of the city is its economy. Tacna produces 53.15% of the country's olives and, above all, it owns the Free Zone, which contributes to the economic dynamics of the region.
Terminals of Lima and Tacna
● La Victoria Terminal (Av. Luna Pizarro).
● La Victoria Terminal (Av. Paseo de la República).
● Javier Prado Este Terminal.
● Terminal San Isidro (Av. Andrés Aramburú).
● Terminal Plaza Norte.
● Terminal Terrestre Tacna.
Bus Operators from the Lima to Tacna route
● Cromotex Transport
● Tacna International Tourism
Tacna has its charm despite being just another passing city. There are several tourist circuits that you can do, such as the Litoral or the Alto de la Alianza. Tacna is also a Free Zone, and therefore an excellent place to buy different items at low cost, so you can take advantage of your trip and return with excellent gifts for your family.