Arequipa to Cusco Bus
Arequipa (known as the white city) and Cusco (the world’s umbilicus), the most tourism attraction cities fo Peru, are separeted by 299 mi (482 km) of travel on the highway. If you want to do the route Arequipa - Cusco you will find a varied offer of the transportation service by the companies Oltursa, Tepsa, Movil Tours and Civa. The cost of the bus tickets is s/. 40 to s/. 110. The average length of the route is 11 hours with any of the already mentioned companies. During the trip you will see from your comfortable seat, the diversity of the geography that offers the dry and sunny climate of the white city. If you are a traveller that prefers the daytime journeys you have the option of the buses leaving at 9:30 a.m. You can also choose the schedule from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 pm. The terminals in Arequipa can be found next to the international bus station. In Cusco the terminals are located close to the Vía Evitamiento.
Why book a Arequipa to Cusco bus with redBus?
You can also time-to-time redBus offers while booking your bus tickets online from Arequipa to Cusco. Follow a simple, fast and secure bus booking procedure. This helps save time and also helps to create a joyful travel experience!
The name Arequipa comes from the quechua word “ari-que-pay”, that refers to a legend about the inca Mayta Cápac; in the legend his subjects, impressed by the beauty of the place, asked him to stay and the inca answered: “yes, stay” (ari-que-pay).In the inca period the incas left the Arequipa territory in search of new places to conquer. The official foundation of the city took place in 1540, by the Spanish who arrived there to take advantage of the mines of the area in the colonial period.The city prospered quickly due to its advisable location in the mining transit path, becoming the most important commercial city, and standing out for its loyalty to the Spanish crown.During the republic, Arequipa was the place where concentrated most of the uprisings and social and political conflicts, what (later on time) would deserve its title of “Hero city of the free people of Arequipa”. Nowadays the city of Arequipa is one of the metropolis of higher economic, cultural and touristic importance inside the country.
Cusco is a city that is located in the southeast of Peru. It is located on the eastern slope of the Andes mountain range, in the Huatanay river basin, a tributary of Vilcanota. In addition, it is considered as the historical capital of the country, according to the Peruvian constitution. The city is the seventh most populous in the country and has a population of 437,538 inhabitants. In the past, it was the capital of the Inca Empire and one of the most important cities of the Viceroyalty of Peru. Throughout the colonial era, various works were built that today are the main attractions of the city for their beauty and history. Some of these built works are churches, palaces and baroque and neoclassical squares.
In Cusco, they have a rainy season where the weather is cloudy, the dry season does not have as much fog and throughout the year the weather is cool. The city's temperature can go up to 22 ° C or conversely, go down to -2 ° C. In general, the best months to visit this city are between the end of April until June.
Hotels in Cusco
Knowing the city of Cusco is a great option, visit a city full of history between culture and its people. You have at your disposal many hotel options, this will help you have the best trip if you do it with family, friends or partner.
Restaurantes & Bars in Cusco
Cusco offers not only many landscapes to visit and history to know. On the gastronomic side it also has typical dishes that will make a better experience. Try their soup dishes and learn about the history of the city reflected in their dishes.
The most tourist places in Cusco
● Plaza de Armas del Cusco: This place is a large park built by the Incas. Around this plaza are the most important buildings in the city, such as the cathedral. Today you can also find tourism agencies and restaurants.
● The San Blas neighborhood: This neighborhood is very popular due to its old mansions, it seems that it continues to live in the previous century. In addition, every Saturday fairs are held here where you can buy local crafts and gastronomy.
● Sacsayhuamán: Located 2 kilometers from the city, it is an Inca building that was built during the government of the Inca Pachacútec and that ended with Huayna Cápac. It receives thousands of tourists annually due to its large size and historical importance.
Important dates in Cusco
● February - Carnivals: On this date fun and joy prevail as the neighbors play with each other, throwing water and talc, sharing food and dancing among themselves. A very strong tradition of this event is the practice of the yunza, where a tree that has been previously decorated is cut down.
● End of May - Festival of the Lord of Qoyllur Rit'i: It is a religious festival that has been taking place for more than 2 centuries. It consists of a perenigration towards the Sinakara Sanctuary, located at 4600 meters above sea level, where fireworks are danced, sung and lit.
● June - Inti Raymi: Here, the Inti, Sun god is worshiped. Every year there is a representation of the Inti Raymi in Inca times, an event that attracts thousands of tourists during this date.
How to move around Cusco?
In order to mobilize in the city of Cusco, you have two options for your choice.
● Public bus: It is the most popular form among people who visit this city. It is the cheapest option, the ticket can cost you between 2 to 4 soles.
● Taxi: This is the fastest way to get around the city. It is not necessary to look for more people in whereabouts, you can go to your destination from the beginning. For you to enjoy this service, you must pay a little more than a bus.
How to reach Cusco?
● Cusco by bus: You can get to Cusco through various bus companies. The good thing about traveling by road is that you will witness the landscapes that surround the city. The trip lasts longer but you can get it cheaper than other means.
● Cusco by train: Cusco does not have a train station to get to or from its city.
● Cusco by plane: The city of Cusco is one of the most visited in our country without hesitation, therefore, in this city you will find the Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport, a place where national and international tourists come to visit this magical city.
Gastronomy in Cusco
In the city of Cusco, you will try delicious dishes such as:
- Quinoa soup
- Cuy al horno
Things to buy in Cusco
The most typical souvenirs that you can buy in Cusco are:
- Alpaca clothing
- Burinados Mates
Cusco is a city that has a lot of history. Visiting it will be a great option that you will never forget. You can visit one of the 7 wonders of the world and also know how the Inca empire lived in society many years ago.
Arequipa and Cusco Terminals
● Terrapuerto Arequipa
● Terminal Terrestre Arequipa
● Terminal Cono Norte
● Terminal Terrestre Cusco
Cusco is a city that you should definitely visit. It has one of the 7 wonders of the world and there is no reason to see it live and direct. You will be able to know a city rich in culture and with a varied gastronomy.