Chachapoyas is a city in the Amazonas department, located in the jungle region. Its name refers to the amount of mist that covers the city, since the word sachapuyos means "men of the mist". The people who inhabited these lands were conquered by the Inca Empire, that is why they later joined the Spanish to recover everything lost. As a result of this, the Spanish founded the city as San Juan de la Frontera de los Chachapoyas in the year 1538. Later, they would join the cause of independence and fight alongside San Martín.
Time of travel from Lima to Chachapoyas
There are two routes that can take you from Lima to Chachapoyas. It is usual for land transport companies to use the shortest, which goes on the Panamericana Highway and lasts around 20 hours and 30 minutes. Along the way, the bus goes directly along the coast, crossing Trujillo, Chimbote and Chiclayo, and then turns towards Chachapoyas. It is a good opportunity to see the natural landscapes that Peru offers.
Climate of Chachapoyas
The climate of Chachapoyas is hot because the city is located in the middle of the jungle, thus enjoying a tropical season. Throughout the year an average temperature of 15.6°C is enjoyed and it is important to highlight that high temperatures are experienced every month. Regarding rain, because it is located in the jungle, it is a city that tends to be dominated by rain. The months of March and October are the rainiest, with April, January and February following.
Hotels in Chachapoyas
● Chacha International
- Rate: From S/29.
- Services: For a very affordable price, this hotel is close to the Plaza de Armas and other tourist places. Enjoy a good rest here.
● Relax Hostel
- Rate: From S/51
- Services: An excellent place where the staff is attentive to all your needs. Room reservation includes free breakfast.
● Illari Lodging
- Rate: From S/72
- Services: It has a good location and has spacious and very comfortable rooms. Departing from here to tourist destinations is very easy.
● Hotel Meflo
- Rate: From S/146
- Services: In this hotel they will give you free breakfast, WIFI and excellent service. The rooms are also spacious and very well decorated.
Restaurants & Bars in Chachapoyas
● The Batán del Tayta
- Address: Jr. La Merced 604.
- Services: One of the best places where you can try exquisite exotic dishes. The decoration will make you believe that you are in a mystical place.
● Los Guayachos
- Address: Jr. Higos Urco 169
- Services: Here they serve delicious dishes from the jungle, especially from Chachapoyas. The prices are affordable and the attention will make you feel at home.
● The Real Cecina
- Address: Hermosura 676.
- Services: A great place to eat a lot and at a good price. The appetizer that you cannot miss are the small ones of cheese and cured meat.
● Liquors The Queen
- Address: Jirón Ayacucho 544
- Services: This place will surprise you with its exotic drinks. A great place to spend an incredible night.
● Amazon 632 Restobar
- Address: Jirón Amazonas 632
- Services: Located in the center of Chachapoyas, they have a very fast service and a wide range of drinks for all tastes.
The most tourist places in Chachapoyas
● Kuélap Fortress: Discovered in the year 1843, it is a very important archaeological center built by the Chachapoyas culture. It is a wonder for many historians because its walls reach up to 30 meters high, a feat difficult to carry out especially with the lack of technology in those times. Currently, it takes about a whole day to visit.
● Sarcophagi of Karajía: These are tombs of 2.50 meters high that have an anthropomorphic shape. On top of them there are skulls, for that reason it is deduced that they had a funeral function. They are built on a cliff and their construction remains a mystery.
● Gocta Waterfall: It is an unmissable tourist destination if we talk about Chachapoyas. With a fall of 771 meters, it fascinates many by all the legends that revolve around it. It is considered one of the highest waterfalls in the world.
Important city dates of Chachapoyas
● February - Carnivals: Carnivals are a fun-filled party that is celebrated throughout Peru during February. They are joyous days where Peruvians forget sadness and play with each other with talc and balloons filled with water.
● August 15 - Patronal Feast of the Virgen Asunta: The statue of this virgin was brought from the city of Quito and received with great fervor and joy. Today, its celebration has a procession where schoolchildren participate while adults display their crafts and typical dishes at festivals.
● November 2 - Day of the Dead: On this day the residents of Chachapoyas get together to venerate the dead in the cemetery. It is a day where sadness moves away from the city and the deceased are remembered through laughter and beers.
How to move around Chachapoyas?
To move around in Chachapoyas, the tourist has 2 options: public bus, commonly regulated by the municipality or the authority in charge, or taxi, driven by a citizen who provides the service.
● Public bus: It is the most popular way of transporting within the city, as well as being very economical. The fare, also called a ticket, does not usually go up from S/5 per person. The public bus has different stops where it picks up passengers, so the trip can be a bit slow.
● Taxi: This is the fastest way of transport within the city. It does not have stops, so it goes straight to the desired destination. You can contact it on the avenue or by calling a company or through an application. The rate here is usually higher, usually exceeding S/10.
How to get to Chachapoyas?
● Chachapoyas by bus: It is possible to get to Chachapoyas by bus, the tour lasts approximately 20 hours to 21 hours. It is a very popular destination among tourists, so you will always find a bus.
● Chachapoyas by train: Currently there is no train that reaches Chachapoyas due to the few tracks that Peru has.
● Chachapoyas by plane: You can get to Chachapoyas by plane, leaving Lima the flight takes about an hour and a half. This time may vary if you leave another city.
Terminals in Lima and Chachapoyas
We currently do not have this information.
Operators of the route Lima to Chachapoyas
We currently do not have this information.