Huánuco is a city that belongs to the homonymous department and is located in the Sierra region. It is a city that has mountain ranges, snow-capped mountains and Amazon rainforests, a bit of everything, which is why it is the favorite of many tourists. Currently its economy is based on agriculture, fruits such as mango, oranges and lucumas are exported from here. Huánuco was founded in 1539 by the Spanish Gómez de Alvarado y Contreras. Its history highlights its participation in the war with Chile since many of Huánuco's soldiers participated in the Breña Campaign.
Time of travel from Lima to Huánuco
The trip from the capital to Huánuco takes around 8 hours and 30 minutes, it is a very short route that can be enjoyed in different ways. Many bus companies have this route among their services, so finding one will not be difficult. To get to Huánuco, the bus must cross the Peruvian highlands and places such as Huariaca, Ambo and Pillco Marca.
Climate of Huánuco
Huánuco is a city with a warm climate, perfect for those who want a vacation in a place without much sun and without much cold. The best season to visit this city would be between May and July, since the climate remains temperate with a maximum temperature of 22ºC. Huánuco generally maintains this temperature throughout the year, although there are months such as September and October where it rises to 24ºC.
Hotels in Huánuco
● Hostal Spring II
- Price: From S / 44
- Services: A house converted into a hostel that offers excellent accommodation at a low price.
● Hotel Tours
- Price: From S / 61
- Services: A small building that has excellent spacious rooms for tourists.
● Casa Hacienda Shismay
- Price: From S / 136
- Services: A great hacienda where you have a great lodging experience when harvesting with nature.
● Grima Hotel
- Price: From S / 249
- Services: Excellent hotel where tourists will be in large rooms and very well decorated.
Restaurants & Bars in Huánuco
● Don Sancho Huánuco Pizzeria
- Address: Jirón General Prado 645.
- Services: Here you will find the best pizza in the entire city of Huánuco, so you must visit it yes or yes.
● Recess Falcón
- Address: Jirón Dos de Mayo 206.
- Services: It is a popular restaurant due to its typical Huánuco food.
● Huanuqueñas traditions.
- Address: Jirón Huallayco 2444.
- Services: The main dish of this restaurant is guinea pig, so you cannot miss this dish.
● The Shacteria Bar
- Address: Jirón Dos de Mayo 960.
- Services: A pleasant atmosphere full of music, perfect for weekends.
● El Trapiche
- Address: Jirón Dos de Mayo 924.
- Services: Their specialty is mint drinks, so nobody should stop trying them.
The most tourist places in Huánuco
● Plaza de Armas: It was built in 1845 and it is the center of the city, it enjoys great popularity due to the ficus trees that are raised. Its main attraction is a swimming pool built by the Italian Pedro Caretti.
● Huánuco Cathedral: It has been rebuilt on many occasions over time, but the start of its construction was in the year 1618. It is known that it was designed by a German named Kuno. Inside he has several artistic pieces of great importance such as the image of the Lord of Burgos or the staff of Teodoro del Valle.
● Calicanto Bridge: It is located on the Huallaga river and is built with “boulder” stone and lime. It is famous among the population of Huánuco because the firing squad of the city's heroes during the Spanish conquest took place here.
Important city dates of Huánuco
● Huánuco Tourist Week - August 08: It coincides with the Spanish foundation, that is why during this week different activities are carried out that promote tourism in the city.
● Huanuqueño Carnival - February 1: In Huánuco, the carnival is the start of a series of activities in February. For example, during these days beauty contests, recitals, food festivals, among others, are held.
● Fiesta del Sol - July 27: It is a festival that is celebrated in several cities of Peru, one of them being Huánuco. It has a stage where the importance of the Sun during the Tawantinsuyo era is portrayed. During this day the sun god is asked for protection for the whole year.
How to move around Huánuco?
To move around in Huanuco, the tourist has 2 options: public bus, commonly regulated by the municipality or the authority in charge, or taxi, driven by a citizen who provides the service.
● Public bus: It is the most popular way of transporting within the city, as well as being very economical. The fare, also called a ticket, does not usually go up from S/5 per person. The public bus has different stops where it picks up passengers, so the trip can be a bit slow.
● Taxi: This is the fastest way of transport within the city. It does not have stops, so it goes straight to the desired destination. You can contact it on the avenue or by calling a company or through an application. The rate here is usually higher, usually exceeding S/10.
How to get to Huánuco?
● Huánuco by bus: Getting to Huánuco by bus is one of the most popular and easy trips. Because it is a tourist destination, many bus operators go here. The route lasts around 8 hours, time that tourists can use to rest.
● Huánuco by train: Currently there is no train that reaches Huánuco due to the few tracks that Peru has.
● Huánuco by plane: It is possible to go to Huánuco by plane thanks to the David Figueroa Fernandini Airport. You should only start from a city that also has an airport and has departures for Huánuco.
Terminals in Lima and Huánuco
We currently do not have this information.
Operators of the route Lima to Huánuco
We currently do not have this information.