Arequipa is known as the legal capital of Peru and also known as the "White City". This name comes from the style of the city's architecture using a white volcanic material known as Sillar.To have a nice view of the city, climb up to the Yanahuara c stone as the main material to build. Arequipa is one of the biggest cities in Peru and it's as well ranked 3rd destination in the country for its tourism. We advise you viewpoint. You can also visit the Misti volcano. If you are lucky, you will be there for the Arequipa carnival, one of the most well-known carnivals, celebrated in February and March.
Climate of Arequipa
Arequipa is a department of temperate climate, which is why it can reach a temperature of 22°C. Your summer is usually quite comfortable with a sky that sometimes becomes cloudy. Several tourists agree that the best time of the year to travel to Arequipa is between April and December since in these months the sun is present and the temperature is high.
Hotels in Arequipa
Arequipa has a very strong hotel system and operates 365 days a year. Its variety between 5-star hotels and hostels for backpackers or backpackers, makes Arequipa find all kinds of options, ideal for all tastes and possibilities.
Restaurantes & Bars in Arequipa
Arequipa and its gastronomy stand out for its typical dishes such as Chupe de Camarones, Solterito, and Rocoto Relleno. Around the plaza and on the pedestrian street, you can find a wide variety of places to taste these and other flavors of the city.
The most tourist places in Arequipa
● Plaza de Armas de Arequipa: Like all Plaza de Armas, this is the main park of the department, from which the social and nightlife of the area emerges. In addition, it is a site of architectural importance, since surrounding it are the cathedral and different important buildings.
● The Goyeneche Palace: It was built by Bernardino de Ávila on the ruins of an old palace from the 1558s. However, the 1782 earthquake greatly damaged its structure. For this reason, the property was acquired by Juan de Goyeneche and Aguerrevere, who restores it for the residence of his family.
● Religious monument The Santa Catalina Monastery: Located steps from the old town is a citadel that occupies a land of 20,000 square meters and is absolutely isolated from the city by solid walls 4 meters high that separated the women who lived there from the rest of the city.
● The Misti Volcano: Is one of the greatest symbols of Arequipa, located at the foot of the Chili River valley, at 2,400 meters above sea level. In 1870 it was the last relevant activity of the volcano.
Important dates in Arequipa
● February 26th - Carnival of Arequipa: Carnivals are one of the most visited parties in Peru and Arequipa is no exception. This grand event lasts 6 days and is characterized by painted characters and water games, in addition to the parades where you dance and play. Dance in particular aims to conquer women.
● March 24th - Holy Week in Arequipa: It lasts 7 days and one of the most important historical passages of the Christian religion is celebrated: the passion, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. This week Holy Thursday is celebrated, where Judas betrayed Jesus, as well as the journey of the 7 churches.
● May 1st - Virgin of Chapi: It is a very popular religious celebration in Arequipa. In fact, the Virgin of Chapi has been worshiped for approximately 3 centuries since her statue was found on the hill. On this day, a procession is made to the district of Polabaya, where its temple is located.
● August 7th - Anniversary of the Spanish foundation of Arequipa: In a party that lasts 8 days, it is celebrated that in 1540 the city was founded by the Spanish people. These days are full of joy, which is why different competitions are held, including the Forged Iron Contest.
How to move around Arequipa?
To move around in the city of Lima, the tourist has 2 options: public bus, commonly regulated by the municipality or the authority in charge, or taxi, driven by a citizen who provides the service.
● Public bus: It is the most popular way of transporting within the city, as well as being very economical. The fare also called a ticket, does not usually go up from S/5 per person. The public bus has different stops where it picks up passengers, so the trip can be a bit slow.
● Taxi: This is the fastest way of transport within the city. It does not have stops, so it goes straight to the desired destination. You can contact it on the avenue or by calling a company or through an application. The rate here is usually higher, usually exceeding S/10.
How to reach Arequipa?
● Arequipa by bus: Arequipa is one of the most popular cities in Peru, so you can always find a bus that arrives here. The time and distance will depend on the place of origin, so we advise you to check these details well before deciding to take a bus.
● Arequipa by train: There is currently no train to Arequipa due to the few roads that Peru has.
● Arequipa by plane: Arequipa has the Rodríguez Ballón International Airport, so traveling to Arequipa by plane is a possibility. Please take in mind that the point of origin must have an airport as well.
Gastronomy in Arequipa
In the city of Arequipa, you will try delicious dishes such as:
- Chupe de Camarones.
- Rocoto Relleno.
Things to buy in Arequipa
The most typical souvenirs that you can buy in Arequipa are:
- The Antioqueño passport
- Caylloma fabrics
- Loncco birth
Arequipa is located in the south of the country. It has a length of 1,071 km. The department of Arequipa has 8 provinces: Arequipa, Camaná, Caravelí, Caylloma, Condesuyos, Islay and La Unión, and represents almost 5% of national territory. Its rugged geography is the product of volcanic activity, an important factor since it is crossed from north to south by the Western Cordillera and derived from the Andes. The average temperature is 14ºC, while on its coast, the climate is more varied and can reach 29 ° C, so we recommend that you bring both a good coat and bathing clothes to enjoy every corner of the department.
Terminals of Lima and Arequipa
● La Victoria Terminal (Av. Luna Pizarro).
● La Victoria Terminal (Av. Paseo de la República).
● Javier Prado Este Terminal.
● Terminal Los Olivos.
● Terminal Plaza Norte.
● Terminal Atocongo
● Terminal Yerbateros
● Nicolas Arriola
● Terminal Terrestre Arequipa
● Terrapuerto Arequipa
Operators that work on the route Lima - Arequipa
● Movil Tours
● Andoriña Tours
● Wari Palomino
● Rey Latino
Arequipa is a beautiful city, with incredible landscapes and truly dreamed views. The volcano at the foot of the city, can be seen from almost any corner, and its imposing plaza, with its architecture and whiteness, make Arequipa and its people a city purely to enjoy.