Travel by Bus from Arequipa to Tarapoto
The road journey from Arequipa to Tarapoto is pleasant and relaxing. At redBus, we work with different bus companies that operate on this route with well-maintained buses and experienced drivers. Although the travel time varies from one bus operator to another because of traffic and climatic conditions, our continuous availability of bus services between Arequipa and Tarapoto reduces uncertainty and offers convenience for travelers.
Why book a Arequipa to Tarapoto bus with redBus?
You can also time-to-time redBus offers while booking your bus tickets online from Arequipa to Tarapoto. Follow a simple, fast and secure bus booking procedure. This helps save time and also helps to create a joyful travel experience!
The name Arequipa comes from the quechua word “ari-que-pay”, that refers to a legend about the inca Mayta Cápac; in the legend his subjects, impressed by the beauty of the place, asked him to stay and the inca answered: “yes, stay” (ari-que-pay).In the inca period the incas left the Arequipa territory in search of new places to conquer. The official foundation of the city took place in 1540, by the Spanish who arrived there to take advantage of the mines of the area in the colonial period.The city prospered quickly due to its advisable location in the mining transit path, becoming the most important commercial city, and standing out for its loyalty to the Spanish crown.During the republic, Arequipa was the place where concentrated most of the uprisings and social and political conflicts, what (later on time) would deserve its title of “Hero city of the free people of Arequipa”. Nowadays the city of Arequipa is one of the metropolis of higher economic, cultural and touristic importance inside the country.
The city was founded in August the 20th 1782 by the Spanish bishop Baltazar Jaime Martinez de Compagnon y Bujanda.In the Suchiche lagoon there was abundant palm tree called Taraputus or barriguda, the name that the bishop took to found the city of Tarapoto.From September the 14th 1906 the city began to be part of the San Martin department, fact that has allowed a great tourist and commercial development.