Molledo is a city in the Department of Arequipa. It is located on the shores of the Pacific Ocean and 85km from the city of Arequipa. It has the most important port in the southern part of Peru: Matarani. Its main tourist attraction is the various beaches found on its boardwalk. It has an important role in communicating cities since it is the initial station of the southern railway connecting Arequipa, Cuzco, Puno and Juliaca. About 20 km to the northeast, there is a large volcanic caldera about 5 km in diameter and to the north and south, other ancient extinct volcanoes can also be found. Its main attraction is its 35 km of wide and extensive beaches, one of the largest on the Peruvian coast.
Weather in Mollendo
Mollendo has an average annual temperature of 20 degrees C. During the months of November to March, its temperature can rise to around 25 ° C, while in the months of April to October its temperature can drop to 15 ° C. At night, it is generally cooler, so if you have a plan to go out, it is always advisable to bring a coat even though you are in a beach destination.
Mollendo is a good choice to go spend a few days. Its climate and its more than 30 km of beach are a very pleasant plan to relax on a weekend. In addition to enjoying the warmth, the sand and its sea, you can find an excellent fresh variety in its maritime gastronomy. Mollendo does not have a large hotel infrastructure, You can find 2-star hotels, even passing through hotels, but its proximity to the city of Arequipa, helps if what you are looking for is more standard, you can move at night to the city of the Misti Volcano.
Restaurants and Bars in Mollendo
The proximity with the city of Arequipa, makes the gastronomy of Mollendo not have much difference to the city of the Misti Volcano. A positive point is that if you are looking for freshness in maritime dishes, sitting in Mollendo is a great decision, due to being a coastal city, all seafood is obtained the same day. You will find many small restaurants on the way where you can taste their delicacies.
Gastronomy in Mollendo
In the city of Mollendo, you will try delicious dishes such as:
- Waffle pot
- Chollonco soup
Tourist places in Mollendo
● The Forga Castle: Built between 1908 and 1910. On August 30, 1986 it was declared a National Historic Monument. You can visit it, going to beaches 2 and 3, and it is located on top of a rocky promontory.
● Municipal Museum: Founded by the municipality of Islay, it seeks to study the Chiribaya culture, which inhabited this area, one of the few cultures shared with Chile
● Mollendo Historical Museum (House of Culture): The House of Culture wants to serve as a stimulus for the population and tourism. It concentrates a large collection of old photos of the port, life around 1900 and 1940. It is located in the old railway station.
● Ecological and Adventure Tourism Route: A walk along the extensive white sand beaches, inlets of calm and transparent waters. You will also be able to observe small islets inhabited by sea lions and birds.
Important dates of Mollendo
● February 26 - Arequipeño Carnival: Carnivals are one of the most visited festivals in Peru and Arequipa is no exception. This great event lasts 6 days and is characterized by the painted characters and the water games, in addition to the parades where they dance and play. Dance in particular has the objective of conquering women.
● March 24 - Holy Week in Arequipa: It lasts 7 days and one of the most important historical passages of the Christian religion is celebrated: the passion, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. This week is celebrated on Holy Thursday, where Judas betrayed Jesus, as well as the tour of the 7 churches.
● May 01 - Virgen de Chapi: It is a very popular religious celebration in Arequipa. In fact, the Virgin of Chapi has been worshiped for approximately 3 centuries since her statue was found on the hill. On this day, a procession is made to the Polabaya district, where his temple is located.
● August 7 - Anniversary of the Spanish foundation of Arequipa: In a celebration that lasts 8 days, it is celebrated that in 1540 the city was founded by the Spanish. These days are full of joy, which is why different contests are held, including the Forged Iron Contest.
How to get around Mollendo?
To move in the city of Mollendo, the tourist has 2 options: public bus, commonly regulated by the municipality or authority in charge, or taxi, managed by a citizen who provides a service.
● Public bus: It is the most popular form of transportation within the city, as well as being very economical. The rate, also called passage, does not usually rise from S / 3 per person. The public bus has different stops where it picks up passengers, so the trip can be a little slow.
● Taxi: This is the fastest way of transportation within the city. It has no whereabouts, so it goes straight to the desired destination. You can be contacted on the avenue itself, by calling a company or through an application. The rate here is usually higher, usually exceeding S / 5.
How to get to Mollendo?
● Mollendo by bus: Traveling to Mollendo by bus is a great possibility. The travel time depends on the place of origin, if you depart from Arequipa it can take up to 2 hours in a Van.
● Mollendo by train: It is possible to travel by means of the South and South-East Railway, from Arequipa or even Cusco.
● Mollendo by plane: Mollendo does not have an airport, but it is possible to arrive by plane, stopping in Arequipa, arriving at the 'Teniente Fap International Airport. Alfredo Rodríguez Ballon '
Things to Buy in Mollendo
The most typical souvenirs that you can buy in Mollendo are:
- Crafts of the Forga Castle
- Caylloma fabrics
- Loncco birth
Mollendo is the 2nd city with the most inhabitants in the Department of Arequipa, and it also constitutes the second economic focus of the region, since it has the Matarani port, which is the main port in southern Peru. With the Forga Castle, its climate and its variety of beaches, Mollendo is a great destination to spend a good weekend.
Operators going to the route Arequipa to Mollendo
You can get Van´s or Taxis that make the trip and the trip can cost from about 40 Soles.
Mollendo will welcome you with an ideal climate to relax on its beaches. It is also a great destination for adventure or ecological tourism, where you can see sea lions and a wide variety of shorebirds. You will find history in its port and its railway and its castle, and you will be able to taste fresh maritime cuisine. For all this and more, we recommend that you visit the 2nd most important city in the department of Arequipa.