The history of the first settlers of the Jaen territory dates from 1000 to 1500 b.C. Proof of it is the human settlements found in the province, where the visitor can appreciate the pottery and archaeological remains that are a sample of the architecture and art of this emerging culture. Those inhabitants were part of tribes who lived in presumable harmony, although the most renowned were the pakamuros (or bracamoros). The name of this tribe comes from the word "pukamoros" (puka = red, muro = pintado), a name given by the Inca Huayna Capac, after being defeated by the bravery of this town of Amazonian roots. The name is also a reference of the red paintings that the inhabitants made on their faces and chest when they went to war or to do a celebration. During the Spanish conquest, the autonomous development of this population was interrupted, ending with the colonization and foundation of the city of Jaen de Bracamoros, in 1549. During the war of Independence, Jaen supported the independence of Trujillo, proclaiming its own independence on June the 4th 1821, and being converted in the crib of Peruvian patriotism. From 1855 Jaen is part of the Cajamarca department.
The weather in Jaen is warm throughout the year, with high chances of precipitations during the first 6 months. Temperature varies between 17°C and 32°C.
Hotels in Jaen
● Hotel CanCun
- 1413 Diego Palomino Street, 2nd Floor, Jaén, Perú
- Price: From S/ 78.00
- Services: It has individual, double, triple rooms, and suites. Wifi. Room service. Includes breakfast.
● Urqu Hotel & Boutique
- Colina Avenue, Jaén, Perú
- Price: From S/ 264.00
- Services: It has individual, double, triple, and family rooms. Pool. Bar. Restaurant. Sauna. Fitness center. Room service. Includes breakfast.
● Hotel Suite Luna del Valle
- 120 El Bosque Street, San Juan Urban area, Jaén, Perú
- Price: From S/ 110.00
- Services: It has individual, double, triple rooms, and suites. Wifi. Pool. Room service. Includes breakfast.
Restaurants & Bars in Jaén
● My Finka
- 1361 Mariscal Ureta Street, Jaen 06801 Peru
- Price: From S/ 18.00
● Restaurante El Horno
- 128 Manco Capac Street, Jaen 06801 Peru
- Price: From S/ 15.00
● Sumaq Coffee
- 1318 Simon Bolivar Avenue, Jaen 076 Peru
- Price: From S/ 8.00
● Restaurant Turístico Amojú
- Miguel N°105 Calle Pardo, Jaen 06801 Peru
- Price: From S/ 18.00
The most tourist places in Jaen
● Almedral Springs: Located 25 km from the city, there are natural pools with healing properties, tempered at 40°C. Thanks to the water composition, with high sulfur and iron levels, the springs have skin benefits and are stress relieving. To enter, it is just necessary to pay the rate of S/ 1.00.
● Plaza Major: This plaza is considered one of the most beautiful in the country. You can find green areas, trees, palm trees, and places to sit down and enjoy the view. At the center, a fountain a plate shape of great size can be found. From there you can admire the Iglesia Catedral, the municipality, and the mountains that surround the city.
● Señor de Huamantanga Forest: This misty forest of lush nature is an area of preservation for endangered species. You will be fascinated to see the incomparable Gallito de las Rocas, one of the most representative bird species of the Peruvian jungle, or the magic tapir, the protagonist of legends of the Amazonian.
The most important dates in Jaen
● June 4th – Jaen Anniversary: This important date is celebrated with parades, fireworks, and cultural events in the Plaza Major.
● September – Señor de Huamantanga festivity: During the days of celebration takes place the Regional fair that complements the cultural and religious activities in honor of the Senor de Huamantanga. You will see the sports competitions, and the traditional dances, you will taste the typical dishes from the region and purchase artisan products.
How to move around Jaen?
To move around Jaen you can use any of these options:
- Taxi: You can use any taxi app or catch a taxi on the Street to move around the city. Depending on the distance, rates can vary between 5 and 10 soles.
- Colectivo: Through the main avenues, you can catch a Colectivo, that go through the main avenues. Rates vary from 3 to 6 soles.
How to reach Jaen?
Jaen by bus: You can reach Jaen from Chiclayo by land almost any day of the week. The approximate travel time is 6 hours.
Gastronomy in Jaen
On your visit to Jaen, you have to try these dishes:
- Potato Stew with cuy (guinea pig)
- Green soup
- Chochoca and Cecina soup
- Rind with mote
Things to buy in Jaen
Jaen is one of the 13 provinces that forms Cajamarca. Is bordered by San Ignacio by the north, Cutervo by the south, the Amazonas department by the east, and Lambayque and La Libertad by the west. Jaen has a population of more than 190 000 people and is located at 700 m.a.s.l.
Bus operators of the route Chiclayo to Jaen
● Transportes Chiclayo
Jaen combines the best of the Peruvian Northeast, with many different places filled with nature, history, and culture.