The name of the city comes from Chidayep and Chiclayoc, words in the Mochica language which mean “green that hangs”. It was the place where the culture Mochica was born in the period of 0-600 B.C. Its foundation took place in 1560, during the colonial period, as a rural house; this lasted until the republic period when the city started to grow due to its commercial importance and privileged location. Today we can appreciate on the outskirts and museums the legacy of a large culture moche, which dominated the valley centuries before. Declared the “capital of friendship” for its hospitality, charm, and good disposition of the residents, Chiclayo is the place that every traveler who likes history, good food, and beaches with a good climate can’t miss.
In Chiclayo, the climate is hot and desert with a nice temperature, dry and rarely rains, because of the strong wind that comes during the entire year. The temperature varies from 18 ° C to 32 ° C. March is the warmest month of the year. The best time of year to visit Chiclayo is from early May to early October.
Hotels in Chiclayo
Chiclayo offers everything, from basic hostels to luxury resorts. There are more than enough hotels in Chiclayo to provide visitors with good, comfortable, and cheap accommodation.
● Hotel Casa Andina Select Chiclayo
- Av. Federico Villarreal 115
- Price: From s/.200
- Services: Suites and individual or double rooms. Pool, Spa and wellness center, room service, free WiFi, free parking, bar. It includes breakfast. Air-conditioned rooms, some include a spa bath.
● LP Los Portales Hotel Chiclayo
- Av. Sáenz Peña 396
- Price: From s/.150
- Services: Suites, individual and double rooms. Elevator, safe, computers with internet, free parking, washing machine, laundry, restaurant, conference room, room service, private airport transfer, free WiFI in the lobby and rooms. Air conditioning. Bathroom with tub, cribs for babies and children.
● Rizzo Hotel
- Calle San José 554 – Chiclayo
- Price: From S/.90
- Services: The hotel has family and single rooms. Continental breakfast. It offers a bar and a shared lounge. It has a restaurant, room service, and free WiFi in all facilities. Free parking.
● Las Musas Hotel & Casino
- Los Faiques, Urb. Santa Victoria, Los Faiques 101
- Price: From s/.150
- Services: Elevator, Bar, casino, computers with internet, free parking, laundry, restaurant, conference room, room service, free WiFi in the lobby and rooms. Air conditioning.
Restaurants & Bars in Chiclayo
Chiclayo gastronomy is characterized by combining techniques from Quechua and Spanish culture. In addition, there is a great variety of regional to prepare the dishes. Its characteristic flavor is due to ingredients such as loche, peanuts, roasted chickpeas, peas, achiote oil, and chicha de Jora.
● La Plaza Bar & Grill, Chiclayo
- Av. Federico Villareal 115
- Price: From S/.36.00
● Paprika Restaurant Chiclayo
- Address: Av. Jose Balta 399
- Price: From S/.39
● Ventura Restaurante
- Address: Av. Bolognesi 756
- Price: Starts at S/.36.00
● Muchik Restaurante
- Address: Av. Sáenz Peña 396
- Price: From S/.36.00
The most tourist places in Chiclayo
● Iglesia Santa María Catedral: Located in the Plaza de Armas, its style is neoclassical with two towers and its dome. The plans were designed by Gustave Eiffel in 1869. However, it was built after his death. Is one of the most beautiful constructions in the north of the country. Stands out the wooden work of Christ and the Antonio’s house.
● Palacio Municipal de Chiclayo: The Municipal Palace Built in 1919, it has the republican style of the time. This building was destroyed by a fire and in 2006 was rebuilt, and now functions as a museum. It was declared Cultural and national patrimony, on January 16 of 2006.
● Plazuela Elías Aguirre: Was built-in 1924 by the Peruvian sculptor David Lozano, in honor of the commander Elías Aguirre, Chiclayan hero of the Combat of Angamos. It’s located between Elías Aguirre Street and San José street.
● Basílica de San Antonio: 7 blocks from the main square is the Basilica of San Antonio, built in 1949. The main nave is wide, with arches. It is located between Torres Paz Street and Luis Gonzales Avenue.
● Museo Tumbas Reales de Sipán: Is located in the Lambayeque Department, his architectural style is inspired by the Pyramids of the Mochica Culture. This museum has one of the best gold collections, with over 2 thousand gold pieces. The importance of the museum is to see how powerful and adored was the Lord of Sipan, and how was the status of the citizens of that time and period. It shows how the people lived and were considered semi-gods to the people.
● El Paseo de las Musas: t's a personal road following a small, tiny waterway. On the road, there are statues of historical or mythical figures. We found a portal supported by five meters high caryatids. The title granted is written: HEROICA CIUDAD DE CHICLAYO. It was built in the years 1994 and 1995.
The most important dates in Chiclayo
● January 1- Feast of the Nativity of the Child Jesus: An important religious festival that brings together a large influx of devout believers who come from different areas of the department
● Easter: Procession and Mass in the Cathedral, and other activities.
● April 18 – Chiclayo Anniversary: Corso of Anniversary, organized by the Provincial Municipality of Chiclayo
● 28 y 29 de Julio- Independence day: On these dates, in Chiclayo civic-military activities, are organized; regional and local parades and fairs. There are also folk concerts (Andean and Creole)
● Tourist week in Chiclayo: This date varies by year. Civic, cultural, social, and recreational activities are carried out with the support of public and private institutions.
How to move around Chiclayo?
To get around Chiclayo, you can travel by public transport or by taxi:
● Public bus: With rates from s /.1, it is the cheapest way to get around. It is recommended to investigate the routes of the different lines.
● Taxi: Despite having higher rates, you can choose this way to save time and travel comfortably.
● Tours: A way to visit different places in a single day, there are full day services from s / 40.
How to reach Chiclayo?
Chiclayo by bus: You can reach Chiclayo very easily from Jaen by land. The trip takes 6 hours approximately.
Gastronomy in Chiclayo
In Chiclayo the dishes you must try are:
- Tortilla de raya
- Seco de cabrito con frijoles
- Arroz con pato a la chiclayana
Things to buy in Chiclayo
Some souvenirs you can buy are:
- Pottery, replicas of the Lambayeque and Mochica cultures
- Decorative home decor objects and jewelry.
- Textiles, in which they use various vegetable fibers such as toquilla straw
Chiclayo is the principal city of the Lambayeque region in northern Peru. It is located 13 kilometers inland from the Pacific coast and 770 kilometers from the nation's capital, Lima. Is the fourth city with more habitants. The city population is approximately 634,60
Bus operators of the route Jaen to Chiclayo
● Transportes Chiclayo
Chiclayo is a destination where you can find culture, nature reserves, handicrafts, and typical dishes. Learn more about the pre-Inca cultures, acquire the first quality artisan products, and enjoy the delicious typical gastronomy. You will also find hotels for all budgets.