Chiclayo is a northern city that is located in the Lambayeque region. Its name has its origin from the Mochica words "Chidayep" and "Chiclayoc", which translated into Spanish would be "hanging green". In fact, it is in this territory where the Mochica culture lived during the period 0 to 600 BC, before being defeated by the El Niño Phenomenon. Here also the Lambayeque civilization was established. In 1720 its official foundation occurred as a small territory that served as a rest for merchants, it was not until 1827 that it was declared a town and it would not be a city until 1835. The title given in 1835 is that of "Heroic City" due to its fundamental role in the independence of Peru. Currently, Chiclayo is one of the most important cities in the country due to its importance in commercial networks. Day after day, in this city are built more supermarkets, hospitals and warehouses.
Climate in Chiclayo
● Chiclayo is a city with hot weather, so it is usual to be embarrassing, although the sky is often cloudy and without much view of the sun. The heat usually increases during the summer, that is, from January to mid-March. In these months you can reach a temperature of 31°C, but it is not common that it drops below 16 ° C even in the coldest season. Rains are few and occur more frequently in the summer season.
Hotels in Chiclayo
● Hotel Real.
- Address: Calle Elías Aguirre # 338, Chiclayo.
- Price: From S / 30.
- Services: The Real Hotel is very economical, the perfect opportunity if you are looking for a very comfortable place at a good price. The staff is very nice, always willing to help, and for 40 soles you can get a double room if they are available.
● Antonino Hotel
- Price: From S / 45
- Services: A double room at only S / 45! In this hotel you will find a great price-service relationship. The staff is very friendly and attentive to customers, and at the time of booking the free WIFI is given.
● Hotel Paracas.
- Address: Pedro Ruiz Street # 1046, Chiclayo.
- Price: From S / 60.
- Services: This great hotel has a beautiful street view, so many travelers usually book these rooms. However, if you like something less loud, it is also possible to ask for it. In addition to the free WIFI, they offer breakfast.
● Ottavis Hotel & Cafe
- Address: Avenida Balta # 319, Chiclayo.
- Price: From S / 157.
- Services: This hotel is very close to the Plaza de Armas, so transporting will be very easy. The rooms are spacious and cleaned very carefully, in addition to the staff is very attentive to the needs of each client.
● Hotel Casa Andina Select Chiclayo.
- Address: Federico Villareal Street # 115, Chiclayo.
- Price: From S / 224.
- Services: Spending a night at the Hotel Casa Andina is a luxurious experience due to all the comforts it offers. The rooms are spacious, but we highlight the restaurant and cafeteria inside as they offer distinguished dishes.
Restaurants & Bars in Chiclayo
● Restaurant "Cevichería John"
- Address: José Balt Norte Street, Chiclayo (Reference: At the intersection with Vicente de la Vega Street).
- Price: From S / 15.
- Services: If you want to enjoy a good seafood dish, this is the ideal place. The dishes are always served fresh and at a very good price, in addition to the dining room is outdoors, making you enjoy the weather and the view.
● Restaurant Hebron
- Address: Balta Avenue # 605, Chiclayo.
- Price: From S / 20.
- Services: This restaurant is located on the second floor of a building. In addition to offering the typical northern dishes, they also have international dishes on their menu. Dinner is also served here.
● Ozone Latin Bar
- Address: Jirón Enrique Palacios # 150, Chiclayo.
- Services: This nightclub is famous among international tourists who enjoy Latin music. Its menu offers delicious drinks to enjoy the night and offer small snacks to start the night very well.
● Karma Club
- Address: Jirón Malecón Grau # 229, Chiclayo.
- Services: Very popular among the Chiclayans themselves, it is a place of great music and fun with a DJ who always plays the best songs of the moment. It usually gets crowded around 12, so you should be a little earlier if you want to find a place.
Most tourist places in Chiclayo
● Main Square: This is the Plaza de Armas of Chiclayo and as such it is the most important park in the city. It is a place of great social life because most Chiclayan people occupy the park on Sundays to chat, eat ice cream and enjoy the Good atmosphere of the city, around the cathedral.
● Paseo Yortuque: It is a very popular theme park due to its different artistic pieces. It has more than 60 sculptures, made of fiberglass, that seek to tell the history of northern Peru. Each sculpture is up to 5 meters high, so it is important that every traveler takes care of them very well.
● Chiclayo Model Market: Here all tourists, both national and international, go to buy. Here you will find everything, so it is very crowded, especially on weekends. There are also small stalls that serve as a restaurant and where you can find very good food at a good price.
● Paseo de las Musas: It is one of the most popular parks in Chiclayo due to its four Greek-style statues measuring around 5 meters high. It is said that they are the muses of classical Greek mythology and it is a very busy place because the photos that come out here are spectacular.
● Pimentel Pier: It is a very nice place to spend an afternoon with friends or enjoy a romantic evening. It is currently very well maintained due to the number of tourists who visit it regularly. Around you will find several restaurants serving delicious fresh marine dishes.
Important dates in Chiclayo
● March / April - Holy Week: This festival is celebrated throughout Peru and is characterized as a time of reflection where the Passion and Death of Jesus Christ is glorified for a whole week. Masses are the main events on these dates .
● July 28 and 19 - National Holidays: During these two days the independence of Peru is celebrated, which is why a great variety of activities are carried out, including military parades and folkloric parades.
● August 1 - Cruz de Chalpón: This holiday brings together several faithful of the Cruz de Chalpón, which made its appearance in 1868 according to legend. This cross is granted the ability to perform miracles, hence several resort during these days to visit it and ask for what they want.
● September 14 - Captive Lord of Monsefú: The people of Monsefú use this day to glorify Christ, so the neighbors gather in the streets to accompany him in the procession. In addition to this tour, food fairs are also held and dances are practiced.
● December 8 - Feast of the Immaculate Conception: During this day, one of the most read events in the Bible, the pregnancy of the Virgin Mary, is honored. That is why masses and events are prepared for the community to share.
How to move around Chiclayo?
To move around in the city of Chiclayo, the tourist has 2 options: public bus, commonly regulated by the municipality or the authority in charge, or taxi, driven by a citizen who provides the service.
● Public bus: It is the most popular way of transporting within the city, as well as being very economical. The fare, also called a ticket, does not usually go up from S/5 per person. The public bus has different stops where it picks up passengers, so the trip can be a bit slow.
● Taxi: This is the fastest way of transport within the city. It does not have stops, so it goes straight to the desired destination. You can contact it on the avenue or by calling a company or through an application. The rate here is usually higher, usually exceeding S/10.
How to reach Chiclayo?
● Chiclayo by bus: Traveling to Chiclayo by bus is the perfect opportunity to get to know the north of Peru and be fascinated by the Peruvian sea. Although the time will depend on the place of origin and other factors, it is usual for the trip to last between 12 and 16 hours.
● Chiclayo by train: At the moment it is not possible to reach Chiclayo by train.
● Chiclayo by plane: Chiclayo has its own airport, Chiclayo International Airport, so traveling here by plane is a great option for those who want it. If you leave from Lima, the flight can last one hour and thirty minutes.