The history of the first inhabitants of Tumbes dates back to the pre-Incan period and it’s linked to the Tumpis culture, a noted ethnic group of navigators, who reached be considered the best of the Peruvian North coast. They were also expert sculptors using as main material different mollusk shells species of the region. During the Inca period, Tumbes was subdued to the power of the Inca Pachacútec, and was transformed into an important administrative center of the Incan culture. But it was during the peak of the Inca Huayna Cápac control that Tumbes had a strategic relevance, building temples, roads, and homes. With the Spanish arrival in 1532, the Incan culture and the West culture met in Tumbes territory. Then the Spanish knew for the first time the strength and vitality of the indigenous warriors; some fought for possession, while others resisted invasion at the named Combate de Los Manglares (Manglares combat). Later, during the Independence war, Tumbes would be the first city to achieve its independence on January 7th, 1821. During the armed conflict of 1941 against the neighboring country Ecuador, the people from Tumbes had an essential role, collaborating actively in the patriotic fight for defending Peruvian sovereignty. It was in 1942 that Tumbes was raised as a Department category, in recognition of its unconditional support, effort, and sacrifice for achieving the victory of the Peruvian nation.
The climate in Tumbes in the summertime is very hot and cloudy. Winter is drier and clearer. Throughout the year, the temperature varies from 21 ° C to 31 ° C and rarely drops below 19 ° C or rises above 32 ° C.
Hotels in Tumbes
In the city of Tumbes, there are many tourist activities to do. From knowing the city and its history to visiting each of its beaches and the magic hidden inside. For this, you can find a diverse range of hotels and lodgings, which will make your stay the best. You can stay in the city and enjoy civilization or you can also stay on beaches like Zorritos or Punta Sal and enjoy days full of sun and sand.
● Costa del Sol Whyndam Tumbes
- San Martín 275, Tumbes Tumbes, Peru
- Price: From S/.210.00
- Services: It has individual, double, triple, quadruple rooms, and suites. Pool. Gym. Restaurant. Bar. Wifi. Free parking. Includes breakfast.
● Maria Jose Bungalows
- Carretera Panamericana Norte Km. 1227.3 Playa Bonanza, Zorritos, Peru
- Price: From S/.205.00
- Servicios: It has individual, double, triple, quadruple rooms, and bungalows. Pool. Restaurant. Bar. Wifi. Free parking. Includes breakfast.
● Akas Hotel Apartamento
- Carretera Panamericana Norte km 1196, Canoas de Punta Sal, Peru
- Price: From S/.280.00
- Services: It has individual, double, triple, quadruple rooms, and suites. Pool. Gym. Restaurant. Bar. Wifi. Free parking. Room service. Includes breakfast.
Restaurants & Bars in Tumbes
Talking about food in Tumbes is an activity that you must do. Flag dishes such as Arroz con conchas Negras or chupe de cangrejo are definitely a space on the agenda of everyone who visits it. In Tumbes, there are a large number of restaurants where you can try these dishes. Whether in the city or on the beaches, you can always find an exquisite alternative where you can try all its gastronomy.
- Av. Panamericana Norte, Km. 1197 Peaje de Cancas lado playa, Tumbes 81 Perú
- Price: From S/.18.00
● Restaurant El Brujo
- Av. Faustino Piaggio Zorritos, Panamericana Norte Km 1220, Tumbes 24540 Perú
- Price: From S/.25.00
● Cevichería Turística Las Piedritas
- Jr. Tarata, 124 Bario San Jose, Tumbes 072 Perú
- Price: From S/.22.00
The most tourist places in Tumbes
● Zorritos: It is located in the Contralmirante Villar province and is one of the places with more tourism in Tumbes. The transparent water and the fineness of the golden sand make this coast one of the strongest attractions in local tourism.
● Puerto Pizarro: It is one of the natural sites of Tumbes to visit between May and December. The way to here from Zorritos by bus is less than two hours. Puerto Pizarro has two areas, the Crocodile Zoo and the Isla de Los Pájaros.
● Punta Sal: It is one of the main places in Tumbes. It is known for hosting tourists who practice water sports such as surfing or diving.
Important dates in Tumbes
● Corrales Tourist Week: Identity Week was inaugurated in the Corrales district and has been carried out since 2003. The activities that take place this week have the objective of reassessing the cultural and historical aspects of the Tumbes region.
● Carnival festivities: Carnival celebrations are a way to rescue the tradition of each of the towns. It performs an eye-catching carnival thanks to its binational quality, based on its proximity to Ecuador.
● Homage to the Virgen del Carmen: On July 16 of each year, the festival in honor of the Virgen del Carmen is celebrated in Tumbes. On this date, the entire town of Tumbes pays tribute to the patron saint, the Virgen del Carmen, through various activities.
How to move around Tumbes?
To move around the city of Tumbes you have 2 options.
● Public bus: This is the preferred way for people because it is cheaper. A ticket to get around the city shouldn't cost you more than 3 soles.
● Taxi: This way is faster in case you want to reach your destination. The rate to be paid will be higher but it will take you directly to your destination.
How to reach Tumbes?
Tumbes by bus: You can reach Tumbes very easily from Chiclayo, thanks to the proximity between both of them. The trip takes 8 hours approximately.
Gastronomy in Tumbes
In the city of Tumbes, you will try delicious dishes such as:
- Arroz con conchas negras.
- Chupe de cangrejo.
Things to buy in Tumbes
The most typical souvenirs that you can buy in Tumbes are:
- Shells curtains
- Animal carvings
Tumbes is located in the extreme northwest of Peru. It is located near the Tumbes river in the Gulf of Guayaquil, 30 km from Ecuador. Has a population of approximately 111595 inhabitants. This city is located in a tropical area, surrounded by pure vegetation. Despite this, temperatures can change according to the Humboldt current.
Bus operators of the route Chiclayo to Tumbes
● Transportes Chiclayo
Tumbes has a great variety of activities to do. If you are a beach lover, this destination is one of the best in the country. Visit its beautiful beaches and try each of its typical dishes.