Chiclayo is a northern city that is located in the Lambayeque region. Its name has its origin from the Mochica words "Chidayep" and "Chiclayoc", which translated into Spanish would be "hanging green". In fact, it is in this territory where the Mochica culture lived during the period 0 to 600 BC, before being defeated by the El Niño Phenomenon. Here also the Lambayeque civilization was established. In 1720 its official foundation occurred as a small territory that served as a rest for merchants, it was not until 1827 that it was declared a town and it would not be a city until 1835. The title given in 1835 is that of "Heroic City" due to its fundamental role in the independence of Peru. Currently, Chiclayo is one of the most important cities in the country due to its importance in commercial networks. Day after day, in this city are built more supermarkets, hospitals and warehouses.
Climate in Chiclayo
● Chiclayo is a city with hot weather, so it is usual to be embarrassing, although the sky is often cloudy and without much view of the sun. The heat usually increases during the summer, that is, from January to mid-March. In these months you can reach a temperature of 31°C, but it is not common that it drops below 16 ° C even in the coldest season. Rains are few and occur more frequently in the summer season.
Hotels in Chiclayo
Chiclayo is a great option if the weather is one of the points that most interests you when choosing a city. In addition, you will find a city with a lot of history and beaches around it. According to your preference you can choose the one you like the most from the variety of options.
Restaurants & Bars in Chiclayo
In the city of Chiclayo you will find a varied gastronomy. From a shrimp suck to a dried goat with beans, enjoy the history of the city reflected in your food.
Most tourist places in Chiclayo
● Main Square: This is the Plaza de Armas of Chiclayo and as such it is the most important park in the city. It is a place of great social life because most Chiclayan people occupy the park on Sundays to chat, eat ice cream and enjoy the Good atmosphere of the city, around the cathedral.
● Paseo Yortuque: It is a very popular theme park due to its different artistic pieces. It has more than 60 sculptures, made of fiberglass, that seek to tell the history of northern Peru. Each sculpture is up to 5 meters high, so it is important that every traveler takes care of them very well.
● Chiclayo Model Market: Here all tourists, both national and international, go to buy. Here you will find everything, so it is very crowded, especially on weekends. There are also small stalls that serve as a restaurant and where you can find very good food at a good price.
● Paseo de las Musas: It is one of the most popular parks in Chiclayo due to its four Greek-style statues measuring around 5 meters high. It is said that they are the muses of classical Greek mythology and it is a very busy place because the photos that come out here are spectacular.
● Pimentel Pier: It is a very nice place to spend an afternoon with friends or enjoy a romantic evening. It is currently very well maintained due to the number of tourists who visit it regularly. Around you will find several restaurants serving delicious fresh marine dishes.
Important dates in Chiclayo
● March / April - Holy Week: This festival is celebrated throughout Peru and is characterized as a time of reflection where the Passion and Death of Jesus Christ is glorified for a whole week. Masses are the main events on these dates
● July 28 and 19 - National Holidays: During these two days the independence of Peru is celebrated, which is why a great variety of activities are carried out, including military parades and folkloric parades.
● August 1 - Cruz de Chalpón: This holiday brings together several faithful of the Cruz de Chalpón, which made its appearance in 1868 according to legend. This cross is granted the ability to perform miracles, hence several resort during these days to visit it and ask for what they want.
● September 14 - Captive Lord of Monsefú: The people of Monsefú use this day to glorify Christ, so the neighbors gather in the streets to accompany him in the procession. In addition to this tour, food fairs are also held and dances are practiced. ● December 8 - Feast of the Immaculate Conception: During this day, one of the most read events in the Bible, the pregnancy of the Virgin Mary, is honored. That is why masses and events are prepared for the community to share.
How to move around Chiclayo?
To move around in the city of Chiclayo, the tourist has 2 options: public bus, commonly regulated by the municipality or the authority in charge, or taxi, driven by a citizen who provides the service.
● Public bus: It is the most popular way of transporting within the city, as well as being very economical. The fare, also called a ticket, does not usually go up from S/5 per person. The public bus has different stops where it picks up passengers, so the trip can be a bit slow.
● Taxi: This is the fastest way of transport within the city. It does not have stops, so it goes straight to the desired destination. You can contact it on the avenue or by calling a company or through an application. The rate here is usually higher, usually exceeding S/10.
How to reach Chiclayo?
● Chiclayo by bus: Traveling to Chiclayo by bus is the perfect opportunity to get to know the north of Peru and be fascinated by the Peruvian sea. Although the time will depend on the place of origin and other factors, it is usual for the trip to last between 12 and 16 hours.
● Chiclayo by train: At the moment it is not possible to reach Chiclayo by train.
● Chiclayo by plane: Chiclayo has its own airport, Chiclayo International Airport, so traveling here by plane is a great option for those who want it. If you leave from Lima, the flight can last one hour and thirty minutes.
Gastronomy in Chiclayo
In the city of Chiclayo, you will try delicious dishes such as:
- Tortilla de raya
- Seco de cabrito con frijoles
Things to buy in Chiclayo
The most typical souvenirs that you can buy in Chiclayo are:
- Caramel cookies
Chiclayo is a very happy city for its people and architecture, visit the charm of its interior and also beaches like Pimentel. Practice water sports and enjoy a rich northern gastronomy.
Lambayeque and Chiclayo Terminals
● Terminal Lambayeque
● Terrapuerto Plaza Norte Chiclayo
● Av. Bolognesi
● Av. Vicente De La Vega
● Terminal Terrestre Ormeno
● Terminal Terrestre Ormeño
● Terminal Cavassa
Bus operators of the route Lambayeque to Chiclayo
Visiting Chiclayo will give you the option to enjoy a city with a lot of culture and also beaches to relax. Try its rich gastronomy and practice water sports.