The city was founded on July the 10th 1902 by the first commissioner and supreme representative of the Government, Don Juan S. Villalta. The name pays homage to the explorer Faustino Maldonado, who went across the water of the Madre de Dios river. Ten years later, Puerto Maldonado was declared as the capital of Madre de Dios; however, in 1985 took place officially the foundation of the city of Puerto Maldonado.
Puerto Maldonado Weather
The weather in Puerto Maldonado is tropical, with enjoyable temperatures throughout the year. However, we recommend traveling between April and October, as this is the dry season. The average temperature in Puerto Maldonado varies between 21 and 32 °C.
Hotels in Puerto Maldonado
● Copasu Hotel
- 540 Ernesto Rivero Avenue Puerto Maldonado, Peru
- Price: From S/ 200.00
- Services: It has individual, double, and triple rooms. 24-reception. Room service. Wifi. Includes breakfast.
● Hotel Enai
- Madre de Dios highway, km. 3, Puerto Maldonado, Peru
- Price: From S/ 373.00
- Services: It has individual and double rooms. 24-reception. Pool. Restaurant. Bar. River view. Includes breakfast.
● Hotel Cabaña Quinta
- 422 Moquegua Street, Puerto Maldonado, Peru
- Price: From S/ 242.00
- Servicios: Cuenta con habitaciones individuales y dobles. Piscina. Restaurante. Bar. Recepción 24 horas. Servicio al a habitación. Incluye desayuno.
Restaurantes & Bars in Puerto Maldonado
● La Semilla Cafe
- 26 de Diciembre Avenue, Puerto Maldonado 17001 Peru
- Price: From S/ 8.00
● Cacao Center
- 504 Billinghurst Street, Puerto Maldonado 17001, Peru
- Price: From S/ 16.00
● Sahoda Restaurant
- C-4 Billinghurst Street, Puerto Maldonado 17001, Peru
- Price: From S/ 18.00
Tourist Places in Puerto Maldonado
● Plaza Major: Ideal to start your trip to Puerto Maldonado, the plaza major is located at the heart of the city. Have a refreshing beverage or an ice cream, and get amazed by the incredible view of the statues and monuments. Near the plaza, you can see the biodiversity obelisk, a 8-floor tower that offer a panoramic view of the city.
● Tambopata National Reserve: Puerto Maldonado is sinonym of nature and biodiversity. One of the most important reserves is Tambopata, one of the widest tropical rainforest protected areas. Thanks to the nearness of the city, it is pretty easy to visit from Puerto Maldonado. You can see many different species of plants and animals like toucans, tapirs, anacondas, and black alligators, among others.
● Sandoval Lake: Take a boat trip through the Sandoval lake and its calm waters. Enjoy the amazing flora and fauna of this place with guided visits. Don't forget your sunscreen and comfy clothes to enjoy this adventure.
Important Dates in Puerto Maldonado
● June 23 and 24th – San Juan Festivity: Representative festivity of the Peruvian Amazon. Activities like dances, parades and beauty pageants are held on this date, as well as religious ceremonies to pay homage to the Saints.
● July 10th – Puerto Maldonado anniversary: Every July 10th the Puerto Maldonado anniversary is celebrated. Among the main activities of this event is the marathon, as well as many parades and cultural activities that involves every citizen.
How to move around Puerto Maldonado?
- Mototaxis: This is one of the most common ways to move around Puerto Maldonado, specially towards near destinations.
- Taxi: Taxis help moving through Puerto Maldonado safely and quickly.
How to reach Puerto Maldonado?
Puerto Maldonado by bus: You can reach Puerto Maldonado from Cusco very easily. The trip takes from 10 to 12 hours approximately.
Gastronomy in Puerto Maldonado
You can taste dishes like:
- Tacacho with cecina
- El Chapo
- El Masato
Puerto Maldonado Facts
Puerto Maldonado pertenece a la provincia de Tambopata, una de las 3 provincias que conforman el departamento de Madre de Dios. Gracias a la construcción de la carretera Interoceánica, esta ciudad es ahora un punto más accesible desde ciudades del sur del país como Arequipa, Cusco, Puno, entre otros.
Bus Operators on the Cusco to Puerto Maldonado Route
● Maldonado Tours
Puerto Maldonado awaits with many different adventures.