It was the settlement city of different cultures as moche, wari, recuay, chimu and inca, in different historical periods. It’s believed that the name comes from the words “muchic, chin and pot”, that put together mean “closed port”. On the begining of the 20th century the district of Chimbote is created, later that the city had grown during the 19th century, due to the port and commercial activities. The already named Puerto Mayor reached the position of biggest production fishing port of the world on the middle of the 20th century. Even nowadays Chimbote stands out for being the seat of the fishing and iron and steel industries of Peru.
The climate in Chimbote is dry. Its average annual temperature can vary between 15 ° C to 24 ° C. Summer is characterized by being short and hot, while the winters in this town are cloudy and cool.
Hotels in Chimbote
● Hotel Real Chimbote
- 220 Saenz Peña Street, Casco Urbano, Chimbote, Peru
- Price: From S/ 117.00
- Services: It has individual, double, triple, and studio rooms. Free parking. Airport transfer. Includes breakfast.
● Hotel Maresta Lodge
- 320 Samanco Street, Urb. Buenos Aires 1era Etapa, Chimbote, Peru
- Price: From S/ 347.00
- Services: It has individual, double, triple rooms, and suites. Free and private parking. Restaurant. Bar. Wifi. Air conditioning. Room service. Includes breakfast.
● Paris Ritza Hotel Plus
- 9th Street Urb. Caceres Aramayo d-20 Chimbote, 02710 Chimbote, Perú
- Price: From S/ Desde 117.00
- Services: It has individual and double rooms. Free parking. Wifi. 24 hours reception. Includes breakfast.
● Hotel Real Bolivar
- 944 Manuel Villavicencio Street, Chimbote, Perú
- Price: From S/ 90.00
- Services: It has individual and double rooms. Wifi. Free parking.
Restaurantes & Bars in Chimbote
● El Portón Gaucho
- Huascaran Street, Mz. Ñ Lt. 10, Buenos Aires Urban area, Chimbote 02800, Peru
- Precio: From S/ 40.00
● La Vera Pizza
- In front of the Plaza, Mz E Lt. 1, Chimbote 02800, Peru
- Price: From S/ 30.00
● El Cevichon
- 160 Leoncio Prado avenue, Chimbote 02800, Peru
- Price: From S/ Desde 25.00
● Conde Fresa
- 448 Pacifico Avenue, Buenos Aires urban area, Chimbote 02800, Peru
- Price: From S/ 6.00
The most tourist places in Chimbote
● Cerro de la Juventud: A place where you can climb the mountain to appreciate the beautiful view of the bay, as well as feel the fresh air.
● Museum of San Pedrito Pescador: This museum is a tourist site in the city that was reconditioned into an old fishing boat by the Archbishop of Chimbote
● Hornillos Waterfall: This beautiful area on the outskirts of Chimbote is ideal to spend a different time and be able to swim in freshwaters. After a two-hour trip from Chimbote and a short walk, you will be able to admire the incredible waterfall surrounded by extensive vegetation.
Important dates in Chimbote
● January 25th: Festival of the Virgin of La Candelaria in Puno.
● June 1st: Civic Week of Nuevo Chimbote.
● Month of June: San Pedrito Patronal Festival.
How to move around Chimbote?
To be able to move around the city of Chimbote there are two options that are the most common among the population: public transport, which are buses with different routes or taxi, a private and independent service.
● Public bus: This transport system in the city is the most frequent, not only because of its frequency and popularity but also because it encompasses different places in the city with its multiple routes and stops. In addition, it is quite inexpensive, the rate per route does not amount to more than S/. 3.00 per person.
● Taxi: With regard to taxis, this is an independent service provided by a local citizen, which will charge you depending on the distance traveled. Although it is much faster and safer, the charge for this transport service can exceed S /. 8.00, which you can request through the application or directly on the street.
How to reach Chimbote?
Chimbote by bus: You can reach Chimbote from Chiclayo very easily. The trip takes 5 hours approximately.
Gastronomy in Chimbote
The gastronomy in Chimbote is unique, that's why you should try these dishes:
- The ceviche
- El Jugoso
- Jeta broth
Things to buy in Chimbote
Typical Chimbote purchases include:
- Crafts of all kinds.
- Marine products.
Bus operators of the route Lima to Chimbote
● America Express
Chimbote is a beautiful city that adapts to all tastes. With an extensive amount of accommodation, you can go alone, as a couple or family, enjoying great gastronomy and entertainment, in addition to giving you a close encounter with nature.